Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

Airborne_Again wrote:

It should not even show on your EASA license whether you have a “full IR” or a “CB IR”, so there is absolutely no reason why the FAA shouldn’t recognise the CB IR.

Actually it does show on licence as CBIR/SE on a UK FCL (UK CAA used this to distinguish between those with ATPL+IR exams and those with CBIR exams) but I completely agree with your point on it being “ICAO IR”, I was just pointing out few ascetics and funky law interpretations as some people like to talk about them all the time…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It should not even show on your EASA license

Usually, reportedly, it is shown as “CBIR”, presumably to prevent the holder claiming the HPA credit, or some other theory credit towards the 14 “ATPL” exams.

It would not surprise me if the BIR exams bring less credit than the CBIR exams, towards the 14 ATPL exams. Does anyone know the details?

The BIR is likely to be similarly shown in license papers, otherwise airport police will never be able to enforce stuff like the 1500m min vis. That nobody on the ground will know or care is not the point.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Actually it does show on licence as CBIR/SE on a UK FCL (UK CAA used this to distinguish between those with ATPL+IR exams and those with CBIR exams)

IIRC from previous discussions here on EuroGA, that’s a UK thing and not something most EASA countries do.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The “competency based instrument rating” is a fully ICAO-compliant IR. It should not even show on your EASA license whether you have a “full IR” or a “CB IR”, so there is absolutely no reason why the FAA shouldn’t recognise the CB IR.

In my Norwegian license, it says IR A SE with CB-IR in the remarks column.

Last Edited by Skylane-pilot at 11 Aug 15:14
ENKJ, Norway
The “competency based instrument rating” is a fully ICAO-compliant IR. It should not even show on your EASA license whether you have a “full IR” or a “CB IR”, so there is absolutely no reason why the FAA shouldn’t recognise the CB IR.
In my Norwegian license, it says IRSE with CB-IR in the remarks column.

Seems to be country dependent. I just checked a German license and it just says SEP (land) IR, though it’s definitely a CB-IR.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Peter wrote:

It would not surprise me if the BIR exams bring less credit than the CBIR exams, towards the 14 ATPL exams. Does anyone know the details?

There is no credit for the BIR TK towards any of the ATPL or CPL subjects. That was, in effect, part of the deal in simplifying the TK.

The new AMD to FCL is here today, with a detailed flight training syllabus for the BIR. This is the real go-ahead for the schools to start preparing the BIR course.

@bookworm, you mention the “BIR TK” in your post above. Isn’t the the BIR TK identical to the CBIR TK?

Last Edited by huv at 12 Nov 08:18
huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv wrote:

@bookworm, you mention the “BIR TK” in your post above. Isn’t the the BIR TK identical to the CBIR TK?

I realize that BIR should have a further reduced TK syllabus compared to the CBIR TK:
“The TK syllabus has been reviewed to remove topics that should already have been examined with the
private pilot licence (PPL), and focuses on LOs that are appropriate for the safe operation of GA aircraft
in IMC or under IFR.” (From the Explanatary notes, concerning BIR)

From the Decision text itself:
“AMC1 FCL.310; FCL.515(b); FCL.615(b); FCL.835(d) Theoretical knowledge examinations
LEARNING OBJECTIVES FOR ATPL, CPL, IR, CB-IR and BIR
(a) Aeroplanes and helicopters
GENERAL
In the tables of this AMC, the applicable LOs for each ATPL, CPL, IR, CB-IR are marked with
an ‘X’, and for the BIR exam and BIR BK with the number 1, 2 or 3 (corresponding to the modules
as mentioned in FCL.835 ‘Basic instrument rating (BIR)’.”

That all makes sense, except I cannot find any LOs tables with BIR in the AMC. I am surely missing something. @bookworm, can you please point me in the right direction?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Does anyone know if/when the BIR theory is going to be available?
Curious to read it…

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Curious to read it…

Curious to see what end up there? any “real reason” why BIR TK should be more than IRR theory ? ok, maybe some “GPS TK” is more healthy (there was no “real reason” why EIR had full the flown IR TK but maybe it’s holders we expected to fly in jet streams)

In any case, good news this is coming at least something that one can get easily and maybe upgrade to CBIR (or fall back on easily from CBIR later on)

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Nov 15:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message