Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA-FAA FCL treaty indefinitely postponed (or maybe not)

I have kept an eye on the website referred to above and there is some new text there now:

To me, the highlighted text reads like a load of waffle.

“However, it is not a question of mutual recognition, but of facilitating the rewriting of EASA-FAA and vice versa. According to the previously known designs, for example”

is meaningless, especially when right above it he wrote

“A freshly acquired PPL, instrument or multi engine rating can be immediately converted into an EASA license”.

The final paragraph describes the old process, whose more recent instalment – for the UK – is here. Other countries have either done something similar, or done nothing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If this is real, it is likely that the FAA released it somewhere (or it got leaked) before EASA was going to release it.

That happened before a few times on this BASA treaty project.

It is likely that Brussels is keen to throw other stuff into the negotiation bucket while they are at it. In past years they were throwing in stuff like EU airlines operating within the US which obviously wasn’t going to fly, so to speak.

Administrator

chflyer wrote:

I read that as meaning one only needs 10hrs IFR time in Europe. So if one doesn’t have the 50hrs IFR time, then flying around Europe IFR for 10hrs will meet the requirement,

Those 10hrs help to avoid the “acclimatization flying” in an ATO (whatever this will turn out to be).

With less than 50hrs IFR PIC, however, you still need to do the written IR skill test (which is the main reason why many IFR applicants flee into the US).

Germany

Following this thread, the current draft of the BASA is only focused on Private licences (with additional class and instrument rating)
Nothing yet on Commercial or Airline transport Pilot licence (or I have the wrong version of the text ?)

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Peter wrote:

The devil will be in the detail, as they say…

Still pretty amazing !

I have this reply from the US contact mentioned in the 2015 PDF:

I have not been involved with this project over the last three years, but according to my colleague, the agreement with EASA should be signed in June. The procedures for executing the agreement, to include the verification mechanisms required by each registry, will follow. Assuming the COVID-19 pandemic doesn’t alter our course, the licensing agreement should be in place and fully implemented before year’s end.

The devil will be in the detail, as they say…

Administrator

Yes; the ICAO IR to CB IR direct conversion (no written exam, just oral exam and a skills test) requires 50hrs IFR time.

The 50hrs was put in to stop the European FTO industry getting trashed by the punters doing their PPL/IRs in the US and coming over here and immediately converting, leaving the FTOs with no meat worth eating.

This reported new concession would eliminate all of that, which is what makes it such political dynamite.

I believe, and from the total silence by those “close to EASA” who must know, that the author made it up on the spot, but we will find out in due course… The other side of this argument is that, from his writing style, he is clearly far from illiterate and uninformed (the more usual social media profile) and what he wrote is really very specific.

Administrator

chflyer wrote:

I read that as meaning one only needs 10hrs IFR time in Europe. So if one doesn’t have the 50hrs IFR time, then flying around Europe IFR for 10hrs will meet the requirement, and I understand this to mean the EASA definition of IFR which is either an I FPL or the IFR portion of a Y or Z FPL, not IMC time.

I understand 2.2.6 you are refering to, but I am worried about 2.2.4 – which, if I understand it right, says, that you have to do the full written IR in case you have less than 50h IFR PIC.

Germany

BerlinFlyer wrote:

After reading this text (which I might have misunderstood), it appears to me that you need those 50h PIC IFR after getting the FAA IR anyway, also after revision.

I suggest you perhaps didn’t read to the end.

or prior experience of at least 10 hours of flight time under IFR as pilot in command on aeroplanes in any of the E.U. Member States, or any European State that participates in EASA in accordance with Article 66 of (EC) Regulation 216/2008.

I read that as meaning one only needs 10hrs IFR time in Europe. So if one doesn’t have the 50hrs IFR time, then flying around Europe IFR for 10hrs will meet the requirement, and I understand this to mean the EASA definition of IFR which is either an I FPL or the IFR portion of a Y or Z FPL, not IMC time.

LSZK, Switzerland

ORA.ATO.150 Training in third countries
When the ATO is approved to provide training for the instrument rating (IR) in third countries:
(a) the training programme shall include acclimatisation flying in one of the Member States before the IR skill test is taken; and
(b) the IR skill test shall be taken in one of the Member States.

London, United Kingdom
84 Posts
Sign in to add your message