Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

Peter, I thought you had done the EASA conversion? I know some at the CAA claimed you needed to fill in this form even if you had EASA papers, but that’s completely bonkers, since you don’t need FAA papers to fly an N reg in the UK if you have a UK issued license.

Last Edited by denopa at 31 Mar 18:31
EGTF, LFTF

Yes I did, in 2012, at great cost and hassle, but I let it lapse at times since then. I re-did everything last August but because the gap was more than 3 years, the IR had to go to the CAA, and the CAA seems to have lost it (I have proof of receipt) and are not replying to comms, so I wasted the £200 IRE flight… It doesn’t matter anyway now because I will just do these two forms again.

In this game you never know what will happen. Usually nothing happens, because the FAA-EASA (and now FAA-CAA, post-brexit) treaty has been “in the making” for many years and is not likely to change anything materially. Bookworm posted some indication recently and it isn’t worth anything i.e. you won’t be able to just fly on FAA papers for ever. So, the best scenario is that the FCL treaty is never done.

some at the CAA claimed you needed to fill in this form even if you had EASA papers, but that’s completely bonkers,

Yes that is bollocks. Not just because of 61.3 (good for the UK only) but because having EASA papers meets EASA FCL requirements for all of Euro-land.

Almost nobody in the CAA has a clue about anything. Just look at the drafting in these forms.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The relative lack of response to this topic, compared to previous years, is interesting.

I know a fair number of experienced pilots (most of them being N-reg) are dropping out of GA but I wonder if perhaps a lot of N-reg people have just given up bothering with following the constant changes in this stuff?

Especially the SRG2140+2142 process which seems to be purely a pilot harrassment exercise, especially for all those who went to the hassle of getting their documents certified a year or so ago, and never received any acknowledgement from the CAA?

I mean, what possible use to the CAA is yet another certified copy of your passport?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The form is ambiguous. It could mean 24 months from today’s date, too. I wish the people who write this stuff could write decent English.

I wrote to the CAA two months ago asking: “On 1 September 2017 you kindly wrote to me (a scanned copy attached) acknowledging my declaration made on form SRG2140 with the statement that “this declaration is valid until 8th April 2019 . . .” At a European level, anticipating further delays in the BASA, the derogation was extended to 20 June 2020 by 2018/1974. “4. By way of derogation from paragraph 1, Member States may decide not to apply the provisions of this Regulation until 20 June 2020 . . ., “In the light of this, is my previous declaration automatically extended, or am I expected to submit another application?”

I have just received this reply:
“Thank you for your email. We are currently waiting for an exemption to be issued regarding the continuation of the declaration for FAA licence holders and the length of validity for the new declarations. It is likely the new declaration will be valid for 1 year. Our Policy section has however confirmed that it is not possible to extend or renew the current declaration and that pilots must reapply meeting all of the criteria again. You will therefore need to submit a new application and meet the requirements. Please also submit application for a third country licence verification.

Accordingly, I am re-submitting forms SRG2140 + 2142, and a £45 fee, but emphasising that as my license has not changed since it was last verified “Do you really have to re-verify it again?” and, if not, please do not deduct the fee from my credit card!
At least £45 is a small sum to pay, compared with a £850 flight test (+ cost of plane etc.) which they were demanding in the past.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Unbelievable!

So the sentence “previous declarations cease to be valid after 24 months” in ORS 1301 is nonsense…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I know a fair number of experienced pilots (most of them being N-reg) are dropping out of GA but I wonder if perhaps a lot of N-reg people have just given up bothering with following the constant changes in this stuff?

Partly because a lot of the discussion is only of interest to UK residents, perhaps?

Personally, this was of considerable concern a few years back, but with the derogations every year I’ve decided to just check the situation in March/April every year to see if I need to take any action soon. Something about little red riding hood and crying wolf. Since I’ve reactivated my FAA IR, the focus is on building instrument time so that there is no doubt about sufficient hours if at some point I need to get the EASA licence.

LSZK, Switzerland

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack the thread for a specific question, but I thought this might be the best place to ask. I want to fly an N-reg IFR in Europe but currently only hold an EASA PPL. I am going to do an IR, and as I understand I will ultimately need both the EASA IR and FAA IR. I’m currently unsure what is the best way to go about this – my intuition says I should get an EASA IR and piggyback my PPL with a 61.75 and do the FAA IR theoretical knowledge to obtain an FAA IR – though I wonder if it might be easier (and cheaper) to do a standalone FAA PPL + IR in Florida, fly exclusively in the UK (and some select other EU countries?) on the FAA ticket (after doing the provisions above) and then with sufficient experience do the CB IR and oral theoretical knowledge further down the line. Is anyone who’s been in a similar situation able to advise?

Many thanks in advance,

Josh

I suggest a search with a term like
“n-reg” AND IR

Practically (i.e. to fly around Europe) you will need an FAA PPL/IR and probably (according to various derogations) may need an EASA PPL/IR also.

Which IR to do first depends largely on whether you can go to the US for the FAA one. The answer will be long, and hugely dependent on your personal circumstances. For example you have to go to the US for the FAA written exams.

Administrator

Last year I never heard anything after I sent in SRG2140+SRG2142 (the package was signed for at the CAA) but this time I got a response:

Administrator
Should you be ramped checked (sic), you will have to produce a copy of your declaration made on form SRG2140 and a copy of this email.

How is this not a contravention of the Chicago Convention for non-UK nationals?

Your local copy of ORS4 No. 1228 points to the current exemption No. 1301 which does not impose a day VFR restriction. This restriction appears to have been originally made in respect of FAA class 3 medical certificate holders in IN-2017/029 but was relaxed in ORS4 No. 1220, also superseded by No. 1301. The scope stated in IN-2017/029 does not reflect present law.

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message