Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA operations, equipment and document carriage requirements

I don't understand how you could fly IFR without a TC? You are required to perform standard rate turns and those are indicated by the TC. Of course you can derive the turn rate from a given bank angle / airspeed combination but that is less exact.

It's easy to remember the roll angle for Rate 1. About 20 degrees...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, every aircraft and Germany has had that forever. At least since 1976 which is the oldest I have Are you saying a G-reg aircraft does not have such a journey log?

G-reg aircraft have a logbook as well. Multiple to be precise airframe and each engine and propeller. The German logbook format is not a real journey log. The planes I was flying there had logbooks with abbreviated entries:

Date Departure Arrival first take-off last landing number of landings flight time

01/05/1997 EDQR EDQR 08:45 16:12 12 2:05

This is not a journey log. You would need to put every single flight into a journey log.

United Kingdom

G-reg aircraft have a logbook as well. Multiple to be precise airframe and each engine and propeller.

That is different.

Those are maintenance logs.

They don't contain airport or pilot names.

They must never be carried in the aircraft. If you lose those, selling it is going to get "very interesting" - at least selling to anybody with a brain.

One could suppose that a "journey log" has no significance to aircraft resale value, or anything else, so carrying it in the plane is OK.

But if it gets lost, you have the same big problem if the regulation is locally interpreted as having to go all the way back to the CofA issue, or whatever. A backup will be needed.

Also the reg doesn't say it has to be on paper! Which makes a backup potentially easy.

It will be interesting to see how any on-tarmac policing of this develops. Normally, nobody cares (I have never been inspected, in ~1600hrs) and most policemen cannot tell a pilot license from a credit card.

But if somebody is out to get you, or out to fill a quota, they are going to be briefed, possibly accurately. There was a rumour (the usual pilot forum rumour, never backed up) that French officers checking licenses had a photo of a specimen FAA license with the words INSTRUMENT PILOT highlighted, to be checked if anybody arrived on an IFR flight.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The German logbook format is not a real journey log

It isn't? This is what it looks like:

What do people think might be the justification for the "journey log" as a legal requirement? Bizarre.

I suppose (looking on the bright side) you can be glad that EASA and the like aren't involved with cars, motorcycles or other forms of personal transport.

I don't understand how you could fly IFR without a TC? You are required to perform standard rate turns and those are indicated by the TC. Of course you can derive the turn rate from a given bank angle / airspeed combination but that is less exact.

Bank angle [deg.] = TAS [kt] / 10 + 7 is the approximate formula. I have not yet seen a TC in anything "beyond" piston twins so it seems to be possible to fly IFR without one :-) In our flying school we teach the students to fly rather by bank angle than TC as 95 percent of them are doing ATPLs and will never see one again in their professional life.

For IFR procedures, the general rule is "turns are flown at a rate of 3 degrees per second or 25 degrees of bank, whichever requires the lesser bank". Once you are past 180kt, the 25 degree bank limit will become dominant, therefore this speed restriction for holding patterns!

EDDS - Stuttgart

In Germany, you have to maintain journey logs for cars under certain circumstances. One is if the car is treated a business expense and you don't choose to go for the lump sum taxation. The other is you get a ticket and claim you don't know who drove the car at that time (the driver has to pay, not the owner). In the future you will have to maintain a journey log.

For aircraft, it's always been like this, everybody does it in the above format. Same for all airfields in Germany, they have to maintain a movement log with all aircraft IDs and aerodrome of start/destination and exact landing/start time.

It makes sense for prosecution I guess, in case of airspace violations one wants to find out who was responsible and that is supposed to be found in the aircraft log.

This journey log could be really difficult. I started one last week, but that's as far back as I can reliably go in my aircraft. There are about 800 hours of flying that I have no idea about, beyond how many hours:minutes and flights were done on a given day.

Nobody can reasonably expect the journey log to go back further than the introduction of the legislation... The issue will be explaining that in //choose your unfamiliar foreign language// to someone with a checklist/briefing that says otherwise.

For aircraft, it's always been like this, everybody does it in the above format. Same for all airfields in Germany, they have to maintain a movement log with all aircraft IDs and aerodrome of start/destination and exact landing/start time.

We have a similar requirement in the UK for airfields (hence the booking in/booking out procedure).

It makes sense for prosecution I guess, in case of airspace violations one wants to find out who was responsible and that is supposed to be found in the aircraft log.

Hmm, here in the UK there are only a handful of prosecutions a year (mostly of people who were complete being idiots) and I can't remember seeing any where the identity of the PIC was in doubt. Are there more prosecutions in Germany?

What do people think might be the justification for the "journey log" as a legal requirement? Bizarre.

Could it be to show that you entered and left the country/schengen zone via suitable customs/immigration airports?

EGEO

I have to say I am mildly shocked by the fact that these ops will be applied also to third country aircraft. i didn't know that (or maybe I had forgotten).

I particularly don't like the oxygen rules, which are much stricter than the FAA rules. I have to say, I would often not be in compliance because I like cruising at FL110, and I often don't take oxygen with me.

I also don't like the vest/raft rules. They are too universal for my taste, whereas I like to take more parameters into consideration what to take with me.

Anyway, I don't worry too much because these these are very hardly enforceable...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

procedures and visual signals information for use by intercepting and intercepted aircraft;

That must come from the UK CAA, no other state required this until now.

This is also an FAA requirement....which is more likely where it came from...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message