Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Permit to Fly - transferring from one register to another

Peter wrote:

I means what factors in an EASA PTF aircraft enable lower costs.

For example, can you do your own maintenance, can you use uncertified parts, etc?

I don’t think if is cheaper. In the end it all depends on the organisation that has issued the PtF.
If they allow the use of the parts they haven’t approved it will be on them if something happens.
To my knowledge PtF is issued when the certification has not yet completed, or to ferry the a/c or the CofA lapsed etc.

EGTR

OK; is this EASA PTF a time-limited permit?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

12 month max, according to the documents… Can be extended.

EGTR

Ah ok; thanks.

I thought this was some new certification category

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This is a typical question which can be answered with yes and no.

Yes, for example, it could be for a one off ferry flight for maintenance. An approval flight. But as in this case in question – i.e. an approval to conduct non commercial flights with a non complex aircraft where the safety of the design is not at question and where a type certificate or restricted type certificate is not considered appropriate – then the actual EASA part of the permit is actually permanent. If you look here at the Form 37 which needs completing, you can ask for an unlimited duration if you are requesting in conjunction with paragraph 4.2, item 15..

However the EASA part might then NOT be limited, however the actual permit itself still needs annual extension by the local authorities, in this case, the LBA. Here, the wording is a little disconcerting because it says the competent authorities MAY issue a Permit to Fly; and as we all know, MAY is different than WILL / MUST.

In case the aircraft is sold, the new owner has to request new flight conditions because these are linked to the owner. Thereafter the process of applying for the actual Permit issued by the competent authority takes place.

arj1 wrote:

AFAIK EASA PtF can only be requested throught Design Organisation Approval (DOA) holder, i.e. a company that can legally design an aircraft.
And they would normally produce a PtF for an aircraft they designed.

That’s not how I see it. If you check the requirements on the EASA form 37, you can also request a set of EASA Flight Conditions and an unlimited validity Permit to Fly even if not a DOA; however you would have to complete the form 18b.

EDL*, Germany
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message