Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA recognition of non-EASA type ratings for licence conversion?

Afternoon all,

In relation to non-EASA to EASA licence conversion, I have heard a rumour that EASA will recognise type experience/ratings and award an equivalent type rating (perhaps subject to a flight test and/or minimum experience requirements). This would be wonderful from my point of view as I fly an FAA-registered King Air 90 and would save me from having to shell out £10k+ to continue flying an aircraft that I am already qualified and experienced on!

My question is, can anyone point me in the direction of a document that actually states this or something to the same effect?

Many thanks,

Adrian

But you don't need a type rating for a King Air 90 on the US register?

For actual type ratings EASA propose that if you have 500 hours on type and pass a test (not sure if it's an LPC or an LST) they will add it to an EASA licence, although it has to have an IR if appropriate. If you have less than 500 hours on type the same applies but the type rating is limited to aircraft on the foreign register! How the heck can EASA issue a rating valid only on the US register??? And I have no idea how they will handle the King Air question!

I'll have a look for the documents, but it's somewhere in Part-FCL

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I've posted on this before here.

I don't think getting a TR carried over is the biggest issue (and anyway as mentioned a KA90 doesn't involve a TR under FAA Part 91 since it is below 12500lb etc).

The issue is that the pilot posting is prob99 going to need the full EASA CPL/IR which means the full 14 ATPL exams.

The CBM IR route will be available for training but it won't get around the 14 exams if you want the CPL.

I don't know of anybody who has any idea of how this will pan out.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Spooky. I just wrote an email entitled "Acceptance of Class and Type ratings for which there is no third-country equivalent" to the head of EASA FCL rulemaking on this very topic, citing the BE-90 as an example.

Annex III of the Aircrew Regulation (EU 1178/2011). Section C, Acceptance of Class and Type ratings, says:

C. ACCEPTANCE OF CLASS AND TYPE RATINGS 1. A valid class or type rating contained in a licence issued by a third country may be inserted in a Part-FCL licence provided that the applicant: (a) complies with the experience requirements and the prerequisites for the issue of the applicable type or class rating in accordance with Part-FCL; (b) passes the relevant skill test for the issue of the applicable type or class rating in accordance with Part-FCL; (c) is in current flying practice; (d) has no less than: (i) for aeroplane class ratings, 100 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that class; (ii) for aeroplane type ratings, 500 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that type; (iii) for single-engine helicopters with a maximum certificated take-off mass of up to 3 175 kg, 100 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that type; (iv) for all other helicopters, 350 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that class.

But it doesn't deal with the case where EASA requires a class or type rating but the third-country (e.g. the US) doesn't. We'll see what comes of it.

Thank you all for your replies. I didn't make my initial question clear enough (first day back at work syndrome I think!), as I appreciate that I don't need a type rating to fly the KA90 under the FAA regulations, what I amtrying to find out was if EASA were proposing to reduce the hours on type requirement for the issue of an EASA type rating based on a non-EASA type, as there is no chance that I will be able to get 500 hours on type prior to April 2014!

I hadn't honestly thought about how EASA are going to deal with type conversions for aircraft that are covered under a class rating on the FAA system but a type rating under them, who knows what this bunch of incompetent fools will come up with?

I am sure that I have seen a document that says that a holder of an FAA type rating at a reduced experience level (i.e.less than 500 hours) can follow the same steps and gain a type rating valid only on N reg aircraft. Perhaps Bookworm can comment on that.

For the case if a King Air I don't know what will happen!

Neil

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yes; I remembered that too. Do a google on

gain a type rating valid only on third country aircraft

1st hit

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

1st hit

Now the 2nd hit, of course!

You and Neil are right, and I'd missed that. I'm not entirely sure what it enables, but it doesn't seem to help the BE90 issue.

I am undergoing conversion FAA - EASA ATPL and as mentioned I have to do 14 exams and once I have passed them undergo a skills test in the aircraft I'm rated in with 500+ hrs.

I am interested and trying to work out what I have to do once I have the ATPL.

Once I pass the skills test and get my EASA ATPL issued I understand that all I need to keep it up is a yearly EASA recurrent in type, is this correct?

Once I pass the skills test and get my EASA ATPL issued I understand that all I need to keep it up is a yearly EASA recurrent in type, is this correct?

As far as I know, check flight with authorized examiner is needed.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message