Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA-reg aircraft - what do you do when the 50hr is coming up on a long trip?

Officially, you are supposed to find a Part M company and do the service. Or get a 10% extension from your home CAA, I guess…

I wonder how many people just don’t log a flight or two?

On the N-reg, the exact time is not mandatory. I am looking at some trips in August, plus Corsica and then straight down to the south east Aegean from there, and it’s probably going to push me past 50hrs. It seems pointless to do a service just before Corsica with just 20-25hrs on the oil… but that’s normally what I have done in the past.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The 10% extension does not require any approval for privat flights, at least under D-reg.

Peter, for private flights there effectively is no 50 or 100 hour on N-reg. Obviously on a piston engine the regular oil change is a good idea and that is what I did with the Mirage.

Last Edited by JasonC at 08 Aug 12:09
EGTK Oxford

Depending on what’s approved within your maintenance program you can always count on some extension. It’s usually 5 hours for 50-hours check, 10 hours for 100-hours, 1 month for annual etc.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

But what do you do if you are in the “middle of nowhere”?

There is a story that somebody flew a G-reg to Australia, where the Annual became due. I guess he didn’t pay much attention to this before the trip… The UK CAA required two inspectors, 1st class airline tickets, hotels, etc. In the end it was cheaper to move the plane to N-reg, which is what he did, and he flew it back like that.

I bet a lot of people would change the oil and stop logging further flights…

Administrator

I bet a lot of people would change the oil and stop logging further flights…

Yes, exactly? 110% compliance is a strange goal in life…

Under EASA the pilot can sign off the 50hr/6month check himself. The check is pretty simple for most light aircraft and you can either do it yourself, or get somebody else to do it and you sign for it.

Under EASA the pilot can sign off the 50hr/6month check himself.

I’ve never heard about a 6 month check but where do you find that you can sign off the 50h check? The maintenance program would have to give you authority to do so.

Speaking of EASA can the annual be done abroad within EASA land or does it have to be done in the registration country?

where do you find that you can sign off the 50h check?

The 50hr check is within pilot privileges (AD compliance excepted, as usual) under both G-reg and N-reg, but it’s a good point whether the release to service (signoff) can be done wholly by the pilot himself. On N-reg you certainly can. On G-reg it was possible before EASA, if used purely privately (no rental or training of any sort).

The UK has/had a 6 month service on G-regs operated for some categories of flight. There is still a 150hr service, which is practically a whole Annual.

Speaking of EASA can the annual be done abroad within EASA land or does it have to be done in the registration country?

Supposed to be possible to do it anywhere where you can find a Part M company.

That was definitely not possible till recently. Many owners of say G-regs based outside the UK (even nearby Europe) had to fly back to the UK for servicing. I don’t know the reasons.

Last Edited by Peter at 08 Aug 17:05
Administrator
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message