Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA TC for CD-155 (2.0s) for DA42

Although there’s a thread on subject of DA42 engine options, it seemed little bit too long to continue it, so I decided to start a new one.

As probably some of you know, last April Diamond announced that they would add 2.0s to list of supported engines for DA42, shortly after Mr. John Crosby announced STC approval on same subject. It didn’t happen in July 2014 (as announced) but in January 2015:

EASA.A.005

It’s listed as Design Change OÄM 42-252 (TAE 125-02-114 installed) within the list of approved engines for DA42.

What’s strange for me is that this info hasn’t been published on Daimond or Continental web pages.

Emir

P.S. I put same info on Diamond Aviators Network forum because there’s more people directly interested in it but it seems that forum is offline and I haven’t read any responses.

Last Edited by Emir at 07 Feb 13:11
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Is the 155hp 2.0 Thielert /Continental the same engine as the 135hp version? Is it possible to convert one to the other either by software or other modification?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Is the 155hp 2.0 Thielert /Continental the same engine as the 135hp version? Is it possible to convert one to the other either by software or other modification?

In essence, yes but I don’t think there’s upgrade possibility. I asked same question and got reply that buying 2.0s engines is the only way to get them installed. And probably there’s something regarding heat disipation which is part of modification.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

When are you going to order your 2.0s engines, Emir?

I have not seen one but I am convinced the 2.0s DA42 will be a wonderful machine, better than the (pre VI) Austro variant.

Next year – I have some 300 hours left on current engines, it’s shame not to use them.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The 155 HP engine is a very different beast from the 135 HP engine, over the years the company has spent a lot of time and money to get the reliability and durability improved.

In my opinion the 155HP is now at a state of development that will ensure that most engines will reach TBO without any major work.

I agree that the Thielert 2.0S (155 HP), now Conti CD155, should be a reliable and durable engine. Less maintenance cost too, as the TBR of the gearbox and clutch (now a two-mass flywheel design) have been increased to 600 hrs. But the engine at this point still has a TBR of 1200 hrs instead of 1500 hrs for the 2.0 (135HP) engine. And calender limit of 12 years btw, and I do not see EASA allow operation on-condition after that, or am I too pessimistic? Tell me I am!

I have not seen any prices yet for the upgrade package of either Crosby or Diamond, have you Emir? As you say there are some mods needed. AFAIK vortex generators on the rudder, because of the increase in assymetric thrust. Also, 20 HP extra means that more heat needs to be dissipated. I don’t know whether this means that the cowlings need to be changed.

Of course Diamond also sells the Thielert 2.0 (Conti CD135) to Austro upgrade, and this is pretty costly, because it involves new cowlings, a beefed-up landing gear (Austro is heavier), switches on the instrument panel for the fuel pumps etc. They probably don’t want the Conti upgrade to be eating too much into the Austro upgrade business, so the price may be high. Let’s hope Crosby will be there to keep them honest..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

And calender limit of 12 years btw

Lyco’s have that as well. I’d be surprised if not most of the EASA registries would allow operating beyond the calendar limit for noncommercial operations.

LSZK, Switzerland

With two sources of 2,0s for DA42 TDI this higher performance path looks promising…
After years of question marks regarding the engines now there are number of upgrade options – Austro, 2.0s of Diamond, 2.0s of Crosby and the standard 2.0…
Still hard to say how these 2.0s engines work in practice, but I am pretty sure we will start seeing such conversions once someone’s engines get to an overhaul. Then we will know some more.
But personally I think it must be really a joy to fly DA42 with 20 hp more per side. Particularly as it is supposed to come without any major weight penalty…

EP..

Diamond are also trying to increase the max start power of the Austro engine to 180hp.

On the other hand, their Steyr 6 cylinder boat engine project appears to be dead?

32 Posts
Sign in to add your message