Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Easy pop-up IFR on departure

He really didn’t need the IFR clearance, but still, this shows how easy that is in the US. See first 8 minutes.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

At 2:30 he is using a paper airway chart. That’s the first time I have seen one used in about 10 years

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Show me more of this and even at my advanced age I’ll rethink the decision to not move to the US … ,-)

At 2:30 he is using a paper airway chart. That’s the first time I have seen one used in about 10 years.

I used to use them 3-4 years ago, still have them in my pilot’s bag.

Last Edited by Emir at 24 Apr 08:33
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I always carry them. An airline friend gave me the advice to have them ready – for example to check the MSA in case of a route change.

I always carry them.

I hope you update them every 28 days and you have them for all countries you fly to. Otherwise it’s as good as not having them at all.

SkyDemon is my preferred information for airways but it is hardly ever needed. The MSA I get from my Garmin 695, it’s always displayed.

Airway charts don’t show MSAs.

Airway charts don’t show MSAs.

They show MEA, MORA and Grid-MORA all of which are minimum safe altitudes (MSAs)!
JeppView on the iPad shows them too, so there is zero need to carry a paper chart when EFB equipped. (I haven’t seen one in at least two years when we got certified for EFB usage. And before that, I only touched them briefly when Jeppesen sent new ones and I had to replace them in their binders.)

EDDS - Stuttgart

This might be splitting hairs, but MEA for example does not necessarily have to do with (terrain) safety. It’s an operational limit of the airway.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Apr 09:05

What’s more important is that you know what i mean. If the MEA is ok, then the terrain clearance will too, i guess, and that’s what i want to make sure.

53 Posts
Sign in to add your message