Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Easy pop-up IFR on departure

Talk about easy filing here in the US. I carry an iPad with cellular and on instructional cross country IFR flights, while the student is taxiing back to the departure runway, I can usually plan and file a flightplan using ForeFlight and it will be ready to be picked up at the departure end. It is usually less than a minute from filing that I receive the expected routing before we ask for a clearance.

KUZA, United States

You can easily do similar things in Europe with RocketRoute or Autorouter. Say where you want to go, click AutoRoute, file, get a text message confirmation on your phone and a briefing pack via eMail.

I mean we’re not as good as you over there, but we’re also not that bad ;-)

Well, in the US, at least when I lived there 12 years ago, you did not even need to file. Just call up tower and say where you would like to go, and within a few minutes you have your clearance. Or, if the expected IFR departure route does not suite you, you take off VFR, and thereafter pick up an IFR clearance to your destination. That would save me a half hour on a flight from KOAK to San Diego where when departing on R27 I would be vectored almost to Stockton before being turned in the right direction. A VFR right downwind departure to Sunol where I picked up the clearance did the trick. That’s the kind of stuff you can get really used to

LFPT, LFPN

@Aviathor, one of my first long trips was OAK to San Diego. I took the COAST departure… very scenic. File COAST7.SXC and the DP almost gets you to your destination

EDAZ

Those SIDs probably did not exist back then…

And runways 27 have since been renamed 28…

LFPT, LFPN

And runways 27 have since been renamed 28…

Continental Drift? ;-)

I don’t think anybody can pretend that setting 7600 and flying the filed route (with any national variation e.g. holding the last vector for 7 more mins) is a good idea – even if it was in your IR exam

So what would you propose instead?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The USA are one country, you can’t compare that to Europe. Compare flying from Germany to France to flying from the USA to Mexico. Let’s see who is first to finish planning and taking off…

+1

So what would you propose instead?

Just because something has no obvious solution doesn’t mean I know of one

Well, the obvious solution is to carry a handheld radio, preferably with a means of connecting to a rooftop antenna (easily done if e.g. your COM2 contains a loop in the panel so you can connect something into the antenna by unplugging the COM2 radio’s output – this is what I have) and then you get loads of range. Plus some means of looking up some frequency to call (a VFR or IFR chart would do).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message