Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ECAC Status for homebuilt / experimental (flight privileges within Europe)

I have looked at EAD. The AIP is there, but there is no AIP GEN 1-17, just like italianjon describes.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It looks to me like a 1998 edition had the same words as my earlier post, in section GEN1-17, with additional specific mention of ECAC. Then in August 2013 this paragraph got an update, moved to GEN1.2 and the ECAC words were removed.

I am slowly pulling out my best German to write to the LBA for clarification on this.

EDHS, Germany

So, I got a reply from the LBA with a copy of GEN1-17 and told that this applies to all amateur self built aircraft and that they can fly as per the conditions issued in the national permit, except that you must stay to between SR and SS and VFR only.

EDHS, Germany

italianjon wrote:

So, I got a reply from the LBA with a copy of GEN1-17 and told that this applies to all amateur self built aircraft and that they can fly as per the conditions issued in the national permit, except that you must stay to between SR and SS and VFR only.

Interesting. This is the official statement, only that it is officially hidden from the official documents. How does that work in a legal dispute?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The German AIP is not public, only a subset as required by the Eurocontrol treaties.

A shame really. They run a neat little business on that.

My thoughts too.

However I have an email that I wrote querying the disappearance of GEN1-17 and I have my reply. I will store a copy on my server, and also have a print out in my aircraft documents.

So I think that I have taken all reasonable steps to educate myself of the rules and have documentary evidence pointing to the exact question that you have above, with an answer from the authorities.

EDHS, Germany

@achim, my understanding is that you do get the full AIP with an SD DFS subscription, and still it doesnt show.

I might be at the club on Saturday. I will try and check the paper copy but it isn’t well maintained.

EDHS, Germany

I have just been clearing up some old files and found this handy reference to the legal requirements for non-ICAO-CofA aircraft flying around Europe.

And sure enough here is the 28-day rule for non-G-regs/non-ECAC-reg in the UK

In other works the UK allows G-regs and ECAC-regs to be based there permanently.

It may have been posted before (in which case I thank whoever found it) but it’s worth referencing it again because it will be easier to find. It contains the local law references e.g. for Austria

On a quick and dirty read, it looks like a lot of countries do not allow a non-national reg homebuilt to be based there at all, regardless of whether it is ECAC-reg. Not even for 6 months and not even for 1 month!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe I didn’t get it, but referring to this document I can see this limitation “on a quick and dirty read” only for Belgium and the Netherlands.

EDLE

@Peter, I think that document needs an update anyway. The quoted exemption for the UK (No.6) has been withdrawn and replaced with ‘Official Record Series 4’ available through the CAA website. There it is clear, a maximum of 28 consecutive days per visit without prior CAA permission.

So I guess they can allow permanent basing of a foreign homebuilt but you have to ask for it and get permission. I wonder if anyone has.

Last Edited by italianjon at 02 Sep 14:03
EDHS, Germany
Sign in to add your message