Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eclipse 500 - jet on the cheap?

Airborne_Again wrote:

As RVSM is about altimetry and altitude keeping, I don’t see how navigator (GTN) matters for RVSM approval. The air data computer and autopilot, certainly.

That is what I thought as well.
I found some flights with this airplane on Flightaware and it did fly at FL330, therefore it must have become RVSM certified. Which obviously is good news for the new owner.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The GTN is WAAS. I am not sure if this one can be RVSM or not, the original ones were not, but then again, they were not WAAS either. If that is the criterion, then getting them RVSM would be relatively easy.

As RVSM is about altimetry and altitude keeping, I don’t see how navigator (GTN) matters for RVSM approval. The air data computer and autopilot, certainly.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

arj1 wrote:

Why does it have a GTN and not a proper FMS? I thought you COULD install it, WAAS.
I’m not sure you could fly it RVSM without one.

The GTN is WAAS. I am not sure if this one can be RVSM or not, the original ones were not, but then again, they were not WAAS either. If that is the criterion, then getting them RVSM would be relatively easy.

The first generation, to which this one belongs, can not be upgraded to the FMS or at least (w)could not by the original manufacturer, hence quite a few owners got rid of them in favour for 1.7 or IFMS variants. What is really stupid here is that the Avio panel does not allow ANY coupling of the external navigators, not even to show them as an Aspen e.t.c. would. All it can display on the PFD is VOR and LOC plus I believe a GPS derived DME. While I am fairly sure that it could be done in a technical way, they don’t allow it or at least it is not certified to do. If the GTN’s were linked into that AP, that would be a big step.

boscomantico wrote:

At least, it looks like their previous owner(s) enjoyed it. 1500 hours in 14 years is not all that bad for such an exotic type.

Yes and with the still quite primitive navigational capabilities to top it. The question is if it is still flying or not. FR has no movement from it for the last year, but maybe it is deactivated there.

Anyway, it’s gone from PC so possibly sold already.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 28 May 12:55

ONE aviation went into liquidation this year… :(
AML will support existing fleet.
Shame, I like the plane.

EGTR

At least, it looks like their previous owner(s) enjoyed it. 1500 hours in 14 years is not all that bad for such an exotic type.

I always liked the looks of this aircraft and regretted that it did not succeed. But then, most pioneer designs don‘t succeed. It‘s usually those that watch the pioneers closely, learn from them, iron out the flaws of the initial design and then serve the newly created market.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Interesting that they are flying like this with the uncoupled Avio 1.0, but if someone is happy to fly in heading mode and follow the magenta line on the two Garmin navigators this way. Looks well kept tough. Still, quite funny that it’s not even possible to connect the navigator so it behaves like a normal CDI on the EFIS but you need a small crosspointer to the left of the PFD… and max FL280 as those are not RVSM approved as far as I remember.

There is another one in Slovenia which is on the highest standard with IFMS. I suppose it will be more expensive though.

Why does it have a GTN and not a proper FMS? I thought you COULD install it, WAAS.
I’m not sure you could fly it RVSM without one.

EGTR

uncoupled Avio 1.0, but if someone is happy to fly in heading mode and follow the magenta line

This scares me. Doing that with a spamcan in 3000ft, ok! With a jet in flightlevels shared with airliners – not so much!

always learning
LO__, Austria

This Eclipse just turned up on plane check… a jet for half a million Euros with two new GPS’s and a free Ipad or similar…

https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=51225
planecheck_N990NA_51225_pdf

Interesting that they are flying like this with the uncoupled Avio 1.0, but if someone is happy to fly in heading mode and follow the magenta line on the two Garmin navigators this way. Looks well kept tough. Still, quite funny that it’s not even possible to connect the navigator so it behaves like a normal CDI on the EFIS but you need a small crosspointer to the left of the PFD… and max FL280 as those are not RVSM approved as far as I remember.

There is another one in Slovenia which is on the highest standard with IFMS. I suppose it will be more expensive though.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 27 May 13:44

How are they different? They both got certified so neither can be “dodgy”.

@Peter hopefully someone can confirm, but doesn’t the Mustang satisfy Performance A, ie V1 SE performance, and the Eclipse is Performance B, and therefore is not able to satisfy OEI performance A criteria?

That means everything can be scaled down and lightened up. In short the OEI excess thrust, and therefore the engines, are much more powerful on the Mustang.

This does not mean that the Eclipse can’t operate OEI adequately, it just doesn’t meet Performance A criteria.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Sebastian_G wrote:

much more complicated than an Citation rating.

You know what, my kind of “if I win the millions” wet dream always has been an old Citation 500 Eagle II conversion. That is a Citation 500/501 with long range tanks and Williams engines, which about double the range. But in the end I doubt that cost wise anything comes close to a SET which has similar range at a lot less cost.

Mind, a good friend of mine flies a Vision Jet and is as happy as he can be. I’ve sat in it twice and have to agree. For all the shortcomings it has, it is a darn comfortable and realistically SP flyable little jet.

Right, off to file that Euromillions ticket

110 Posts
Sign in to add your message