Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EDAY Strausberg NOTAM advice - LPV suspended

The following NOTAM is currently in effect for EDAY Strausberg:

“ THE FLW CHANGES TO APCH OCCUR: RWY 05/23 RNP APCH (APV/SBAS) DOWN TO LPV MINIMUM SUSPENDED. CHANGES ARE PERMANENT.”

Does anyone know the reason for this suspension? And can we really expect a brand new LPV approach to be permanently withdrawn just 6 months after it was first published.

I’ve already tried calling the airport, whose tower operator was not able to provide any further information.

Thank you in advance

Merry Christmas

CLE
Roskilde Flying Club
EKRK

Maybe the airport lost their LPV subscription?

I understand each AD needs to be licenced with certificate for Safety Of Life and EGNOS NOTAMS to use SBAS service down to LPV OCH

Looking at their Obstacles Chart Type A (Jul21), nothing suggest an LPV is not possible…

I expect what will follow is they would get LPV removed from GPS navigator databases and HSI annunciations? and LPV entry in Jepps/AiP plates for approach…

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Dec 18:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I understand each AD needs to be licenced with certificate for Safety Of Life and EGNOS NOTAMS to use SBAS service down to LPV OCH

My understanding is that this is only necessary outside the EU.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

So an AD in France does not need own “LPV EGNOS subscription” it’s a granteed national agreement to all AD of the state?

PS: individual ADR certificate agreement was highlighted for UK AD LPV after Brexit and for say LPV200 in Monastir airport Africa, but I had the impression all other airports even in EU need to have that sort of AD level agreement covered somewhere to use LPV

Are “EGNOS LPV NOTAMS” AD specific?

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Dec 09:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Ibra wrote: I understand each AD needs to be licenced with certificate for Safety Of Life and EGNOS NOTAMS to use SBAS service down to LPV OCH

My understanding is that this is only necessary outside the EU.

@Airborne_Again, (even before Brexit) UK CAA was saying somthing like “LNAV is OK now, for LPV please sign an agreement”, so I presume you still need this agreement, but you sign as an entity that resides in an EGNOS member country…

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

(even before Brexit) UK CAA was saying somthing like “LNAV is OK now, for LPV please sign an agreement”, so I presume you still need this agreement, but you sign as an entity that resides in an EGNOS member country…

That may be true, but does it come with a cost? That’s the crucial thing, isn’t it?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

That may be true, but does it come with a cost? That’s the crucial thing, isn’t it?

As far as I rememeber it was either free or very inexpensive, but it is still a contract and someone within the organisation has to approve it, sign it etc…

EGTR

The more general “EGNOS withdrawal” thread is here and it mentions Morocco having LPV and I am damn sure Morocco is not paying a penny for that If Africa gets EGNOS authorisation for aviation, it would be under some “EU influence expansion” policy where they get it for free, or very very cheap.

The topic here is however a German airport whose LPV has been suspended, which is unthinkable. The reason must be something else entirely.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AIUI LPV needs SBAS which in turn needs EGNOS (WAAS) in the USA.
According to Garmin and noted in the G1000 users manual, it says that SBAS relies on a series of ground stations which take time and position information from the GPS constellation and pass it on to a master ground station.This in turn corrects fro any errors brought about by stratospheric and other anomalies and feeds the corrected information to the WAAS/ EGNOS satellite constellation which in turn communicates the corrected information to the equipment in the aircraft.
This is different to GBAS which misses out the WAAS/EGNOS constellation, communicating directly with the aircraft from ground stations.
I suppose if an area hasn’t got any ground stations or no master station then no LPV information will be available for that area. If you haven’t got the accuracy of the corrected information it would not be safe to have LPV200 at that airport. It is the same as an airport when the ILS glide slope is not available.
Morocco has many trade and other agreements with the EU, perhaps LPV is part of one of them.

France

EDAY is not likely to be outside EGNOS coverage though. This map is from our airports database

One possibility is that a mistake was discovered on the LPV approach plate. This does happen but is very unusual.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message