Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EDRD Neumagen-Dhron or EDRT Trier

Looking for a local pirep for either of these as a potential pit stop – aircraft would be a Super Cub.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Despite their vicinity to each other, the two couldn’t be more different. EDRD is grass and what we in Germany call a Special Airfield, open only by prior permission. Very beautiful scenery, being located high above river Mosel. I flew in there once some years ago. Some noise sensitive neighbours.

EDRT is tarmac and what we call a Verkehrslandeplatz, with fixed operating hours, lights and other various services. A restaurant too, which I found quite good. But for the visiting pilot, the airfield just plain boring. Nothing worth remembering.

Anyway, EDRD has no fuel, so probably less suitable. Also no Schengen entry point, if you need that. Finally, no English speaking A/G operator, at least officially. EDRT has all that.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

bosco many thanks, my destination is Bexbach, may actually clear Schengen at EDRT

Boscomantico said it all. EDRD a wonderful place to visit if you have time for an overnight d own below on the Mosel.

Tököl LHTL

Decision making in a Day VFR only, no gyros, no electric Super Cub is always straightforward. The VFR transit through Belgian C airspace is visibility minimum 5k and 1,000’ vertical separation from cloud, 1500m horizontal. In practice looking for 8k and 3,000’ ceilings, which today was unavailable. (Equipment is Y/S from a motorcycle battery)

Given relatively low icing level not sure I would venture in a basic IFR aircraft, with a lot of drizzle, some TCU and low IFR across the country.

Next work window is end of November. If I get good VFR conditions, quite prepared to leave the Super Cub and airline back if return conditions for the return journey are not good.

Winter VFR requires a lot of patience but still aiming to accomplish the trip when the weather is more helpful. It also re inforces that in winter in Northern Europe your likely trips in a VFR only aircraft are of the 100-150nm variety.

…looking at the current METAR might have made it to L2K, then to be stuck there tomorrow…one of the truisms of VFR is its always better to be flying towards better weather, rather than the other way around…

Regarding EDRD English, I called ahead and landed without German. Was no problem. Good guys there, mainly into gliders.

Tököl LHTL
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message