Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EE-Austria-Denmark-Scandinavia summer trip

Hi, I’m planning to fly to Stauning for my 3 year CAMO inspection this summer, probably in July or August. As I usually don’t have time for multiple decent flying trips, I plan to use a “slightly” longer route. Currently I have planned something like this: eetu-eypr-epbc-lztt-lhbs-loag-lklt-edaz-ekmb-ekvj-ekls-eskc-efma-eftu-eetu .

The first part until Warsaw is already explored (I visited EPBC-LKLT last year). The plane is Cherokee 140
I would like all suggestions regarding Hungary and Slovenia, also some suggestions for Denmark-Sweden- the last part of trip is currently a kind of placeholder- it would be nice to visit EFMA and Turku, but I can also fly direct from Uppsala to Tartu,if for some reason the trip takes longer than planned..

EETU, Estonia

LHFM is a lively ga field.
LJMB is nice (5+1 landings ~30€ total).
LJPZ is known I guess.

always learning
LO__, Austria

How VFR friendly are the Austrian TMA-s? for example, can I expect to get through the Wien TMA between Wien and Tulln at 6000ft?

EETU, Estonia

make sure to visit the Stauning Distillery when you’re there. You will probably need to book

EGTR

How VFR friendly are the Austrian TMA-s? for example, can I expect to get through the Wien TMA between Wien and Tulln at 6000ft?

Austrian atc is great and generally very accommodating. What’s not going to work is flying through the arr/dep flows of LOWW.
Their leeway in controlled airspace depends, among other things, on radio/pilot proficiency.

The TMA „rings“ around LOWW are setup so you can get around fairly close while remaining in E airspace.

So best is to plan a route to remain in E and then ask if crossing the TMA from-to (constant heading/alt) is possible. You could ask Wien Info to facilitate this with Wien Radar.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 03 Mar 17:30
always learning
LO__, Austria

I don’t know if this still exists, but there used to be a low-level VFR corridor through the LOWW TMA that gave you a great sightseeing flight over Vienna.

172driver wrote:

I don’t know if this still exists, but there used to be a low-level VFR corridor through the LOWW TMA that gave you a great sightseeing flight over Vienna.

maybe some locals can comment- there is indeed a route through Wien, but in addition there is also a restricted area LOR15 up to 10K feet..I havent gotten to study the AIP throughly enough, but looks like its been closed..

Last Edited by ivark at 03 Mar 19:30
EETU, Estonia

ivark wrote:

maybe some locals can comment- there is indeed a route through Wien, but in addition there is also a restricted area LOR15 up to 10K feet..I havent gotten to study the AIP throughly enough, but looks like its been closed.

Restricted areas are just that — restricted, not prohibited. Flight along the Donau between 0600 and 2100 local time is expressly permitted (AIP ENR 5.1-5). The Donau route is also depicted on the LOWW/LOXT VFR chart (AIP AD 2 LOWW 24-9).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Chart https://eaip.austrocontrol.at/lo/200228/Charts/LOWW/LO_AD_2_LOWW_24-9_en.pdf

Entry, exit, transit of as well as operation within Restricted Area Wien permitted only:
a) for operational flights (§ 145 aviation act), for ambulance or rescue flights or for flights used in case of disaster, or
b) with aircraft operating in accordance with “§ 2 Abs. 1 lit. c des Wehrgesetzes 2001” BGBl. I Nr. 146/2001 in the last valid version, or
c) for IFR flights approaching the airport Wien-Schwechat in direction east or south, or
d) in individual cases, when clearance is granted by ATS unit (§ 3 of the “Rules of the Air”) for safety reasons and especially also for purpose of
flight calibration or flight check of air traffic service facilities, or
e) by clearance of the appropriate ATC unit from 0600 until 2100 local time with aircraft,
ea) operating for military reasons, or
eb) departing from or landing at an aerodrome within LO R 15 Wien as far as necessary for the purpose of departing or landing, or ec) flying between the right Donau bank and the furthest embankment on the left Donau bank, or
f) with permission of the responsible authority from 06.00 until 21.00 local time with aircraft operating for purposes which are not only for private interests of a person and which otherwise couldn’t be reached (especially aerial photographs and measuring flights). The permission may only be granted if no serious noise abatement reasons or other public interests – in particular the interest in air safety – exist. In that case the restricted area Wien shall be crossed on the shortest possible flight path if the height is below 6000FT above ground excluding flights written under item d.
2) Operation of unmanned aircraft class 1 (§ 24f LFG) is permitted only with authorisation by the appropriate authority.
3) If weather conditions and traffic situation permit and there are no reasons against flight safety the landing at airport Wien-Schwechat has to be
executed in direction west, in direction north respectively.
4) Within Restricted Area Wien VFR flights are permitted only in accordance with the prescribed procedure in respect to flight safety and noise
abatement.
5) Within Restricted Area Wien aircraft executing an instrument approach to airport Wien-Schwechat and which are already in approach direction
to the aerodrome should be operated in a regular descent, as far as no other ATC-clearance was granted or something other is necessary to ensure safety of operation of the aircraft.
Non AMC manageable area

Last Edited by Snoopy at 04 Mar 08:17
always learning
LO__, Austria
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message