Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EGKB (Biggin) to Barcelona

I have a trip planned end of March to Barcelona to fetch my nephew. I plan to fly down there with my son IFR in a day and then perhaps take a day longer to fly back the 3 of us VFR (weather permitting). Also I will not be able to full the aircraft with fuel on the way back – another 18 year old and his 3 weeks of luggage (!) in the aircraft so this will demand shorter legs.

I was thinking of two legs on the way down at FL170 – EGKB to LFRS (Nante – topical!) and then LFRS to either LEBL (Barcelona itself) or LELL (Sabadell). Looking at Garmin it looks like LELL only has visual approaches and also the reviews on Sky Demon are not very good at all.

Can any of the locals give me suggestions on which to aim for and transport options to the city to collect my nephew?

Also I have been reading about many trips reported here (Thanks to all those who do this – really helpful and inspirational) and have started building a 2 day VFR trip back. Again I was hoping that some of you familiar with Southern Europe may be able to give me some hot tips.

Last Edited by SierraNovember at 02 Feb 17:33
The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

I went to Sabadell LELL here. I don’t know why SD gives it a bad review… maybe because much of the UK user base doesn’t want to pay over £10 The handler 100ALAS (which did a great value €80 including a drive into the town; the taxi fare alone would have been a fair chunk of that) has gone bust but the airport is perfectly nice.

LEBL had no avgas last time I checked.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For a quick customs and fuel stop, I would recommend LFRN Rennes or La Rochelle LFBH over Nantes LFRS.

For the flight back to the UK, I would recommend Mende LFNB or Aubenas LFHO (beautiful scenery, although Mende is Total card only AFAIK). Then Troyes LFQB or Reims LFQA both offer customs and a pretty town to visit.

LFOU, France

SierraNovember wrote:

I was thinking of two legs on the way down at FL170 – EGKB to LFRS (Nante – topical!) and then LFRS to either LEBL (Barcelona itself) or LELL (Sabadell). Looking at Garmin it looks like LELL only has visual approaches and also the reviews on Sky Demon are not very good at all.

Sabadell may be an option for you but if not I would not use Barcelona itself. Girona LEGE is much easier to use as an IFR airport for Barcelona

EGTK Oxford

+1 for Girona if for whatever reason you don’t want / can’t use LELL.

Thanks all for the responses. What I think I may do is file IFR to Girona LEGE and if it ends up VFR conditions cancel IFR and aim for LELL.

Appreciate the guidance and advice – thank you.

Off to Waterford Monday for a look around the area… Seems like going West on Monday is better weather – although I am going IFR…

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

One last tip for LEGE. It’s been a few years, but unless they’ve changed it, the self-serve fuel station is at the opposite end of the apron from the transient parking, with the commercial (read: Ryanair) apron in between. Suggest you refuel immediately after landing and then taxi to the parking.

I would highly recommend LELL. LEBL has no AVGAS, and it’s much more expensive to fly into it.
Even though LELL is only VFR, it’s very doable. I was based there during one winter. I think we only cancelled once because of weather.

LEBL, Spain

Yup. One recent trick is they moved the airport office to the North side of the airfield at LELL, across the runway from the airside/groundside entrance. So if you want to to avoid doing the long trip (no easy way really) to pay landing fees or file a flightplan (does anyone do these at the airportt office any more?), it can all be handled over the phone from a small booth next to the entrance. There is a phone with instructions to call airport ops, a credit card pay machine and a printer where you’ll get your invoice. Not as convenient as it used to be but it works.

100 alas is sorely missed.

I don’t think rental cars are available.

Last Edited by Antonio at 04 Feb 08:56
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thanks all for the wonderful advice here again.

I will plan on LELL and if weather comes in LEGE. Great tip on the phone system now…

IFR to get down to LFBH for lunch and then LFBH to LELL. Back VFR roughly LELL – LFHO – LFQB – EGKB

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message