Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EKRK in December, VFR

Hi,

I haven’t flown to Scandinavia so far and I’ve not done a lot of winter flying in Europe yet.

Now, a couple of friends and I will be renting a house in Denmark for a few days over New Years. I’m considering flying there (VFR only) with my girlfriend to save us the hassle of the long drive.

In terms of back-ups, and get-home-itis precautions, this is a good setup: Outbound, if we see the WX isn’t any good, we’ll just hit the road and drive – no issues with that. Homebound, we have a few days of flexibility. In fact, I only need to get back half way in one go as I could “stop” for the first week of work at my project location EDHL.

Now, is such a plan sensible? Can I expect an ok chance of flyable weather to begin with or should I rather scrap the plan and not bother?

Also, I’d expect a Nordic airfield like Roskilde to be reasonably winter-equipped. Is that the case? Specifically, can de-icing fluid be had? That would be important after a few days of parking in the open up there, I can imagine.

Thanks.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Hi Patrick,

what do you want the de-icing fluid for if you fly VFR? ;-)

From my limited experience up there i would say a lot is possible in Denmark that wouldn’t be possible in many parts of Germany. It’s really so flat and low that you can fly VFR on many cloudy days …

Can I expect an ok chance of flyable weather

Let me find that crystal ball and I’ll get back to you !!

Hi Alexis,

Flyer59 wrote:

what do you want the de-icing fluid for if you fly VFR? ;-)

Is that not the correct word for the stuff you apply to get rid of ice on the surfaces before flight – regardless of flying rules?

Flyer59 wrote:

Let me find that crystal ball and I’ll get back to you !!

Great! When can I expect your forecast and how much money do I need to pay you for that? Wait, I might just call one of those TV gurus, that might work just as well.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

;-)

Ok, I understand. Yes, if the whole plane is iced up you can use that, … but a hangar space would be nicer.

The fee depends on the weather. VMC is a little more expensive than Minimum VFR :-)

Hi Patrick, I would contact Roskilde and ask if they can arrange hangar space for you.
If you have a few days of flexibility the chance that you can get home VFR is very high.

Flying in Norway I never ever used anything else than a brush to remove ice and snow from the airplane. Exposing the airplane to direct sunlight also helps even if temperatures are below 0°C

LFPT, LFPN
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message