Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ fly-in 8/9 September 2018

Having gathered feedback from many pilots on EuroGA, Elba LIRJ has been chosen.

It meets most of the requirements for a good location:

• scenic
  • something for the whole family
  • good weather (usually)
  • not a place which everybody has already visited via Ryanair
  • enough parking (mostly on grass but “nice planes” can get tarmac)
  • no special hassles at the airport
  • avgas, immigration and customs
  • hard runway (949×20m)

I went there in 2014.

So, put the date in your diary

A number of us will fly on from there down to Greece for this.

I will contact the airport and ask if they have any known issues with the date, for 10-20 aircraft.

EDIT: Telegram group join link https://t.me/joinchat/BcKpDkmuqoqayIYNugsMXQ

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, I see LIRJ is VFR only. What do you do in case of bad weather, cancel or alternatives?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I think, in that part of the world, if the wx is bad enough to be a problem, you won’t get much better options with IFR. We could have an “IFR alternate fly-in” in say Bastia on Corsica, but few will bother because they will have booked a hotel on Elba. But most likely if the wx is a total washout, OVC001, etc, the trip gets cancelled.

However, on any given fly-in a large % cancel due to wx, no matter what the wx is at the destination, because people come from all over Europe.

In practice what happens is that the fly-in goes ahead but with a small turnout, because people see the wx ahead and see that if they arrive say a day earlier they can get in.

An IAP into LIRJ would be “interesting”

The airport website appears to be here and I see it is 24hrs PNR for Customs, which may mean Immigration too I have emailed them in English and google-translated Italian.

Their price list is here local copy but being dated 2012 it might be a fossil

Administrator

Grass apron is being tarred and an extra tarmac apron has been built on the northern side.

You should have no issue beginning of September.

If you need a hand let me know, I am in contact with the airport manager.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

The visual approach to R16 looks ‘interesting’. There is a video of the R16 landing approaching from the north on the operators website that @Peter posted above.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

That’s one way to get in on that runway, but you can also just join downwind from the south and fly a tight circuit, which is what I did when I went there

The video above shows the path shown by the arrows.

IMHO the guy in the video is flying quite low, and is flying an unneccesarily shallow final approach. But many people do that… here it is called “dragging it in”.

Overall I think it is similar to Calvi (the one with the horrible parking surface) and Portoroz.

Administrator

We went last week on a trip EBGB – LFLU- LIRJ. Elba and this with 3 aircraft. 2 RV’s and 1 Mooney.
Very nice airfield with friendly people.
Price for Avgas was 3.15€. Jet fuel was also available.
Price for landing, parking for 2 days and nights and taxes was 50.50€ for the RV. the price for the Mooney was around 80.0€

As for Elba itself, that was a very nice place to stay. Good accommodations, we got a hotel in Marina Di Campo, that is just 3 km from the airport.
What we did was to rent a scooter,(39.0€ for all day) and than visited the island, a very nice way to discover the beauty of Elba.
And if you like to eat fish, there are plenty enough restaurants to provide you with some delicious dishes :

our trip was EBGB – LFLU – LIRJ after 2 days LIRJ to LIDF. after 3 days LIDF to LIMG the next day back home via LFLU to EBGB

EBGB

@peter are you going to put this as a sticky thread?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

In preparation for our fly-in I flew to Elba this weekend and I can say that destination ticks all our usual boxes except instrument approach but having in mind time of the year I assume that VFR conditions will prevail.

RW16 was runway in use but I choose slightly innovative path because I was not sure which hill enables less steep approach – this is my path on Peter’s photo.

At first glance I was a bit disappointed because Marina di Campo (city where the airport is located) doesn’t have much to offer except few good restaurants. However, visits to Portoferraio and Marciana revealed what the island really looks like. Also, driving around you can discover many beaches (sand, pebble), hidden villages and towns with architecture worth of seeing.

Taxi is kind of expensive 10€ from airport to Marina di Campo (2 km – walking distance but we didn’t know that when we arrived) and 30€ from Marina di Campo to Portoferraio. Rental car is 45 to 50€ per day for a small car – we took it on the 2nd day. We simply walked to the airport and took a car instead of taxi.

There’s a bus service but it’s kind of complicated on Sundays due to less frequent schedule.

The airport bill was low to moderate – landing and take off 3€ each (1.5 per ton), parking for two days 28€ (there’s day and nigh tariff), handling 34€ (17 per ton) and other taxes 15.30€ – totally 83.30€. AOPA discount 20% applies to handling (I forgot to present the card).

Prices of fuel are:
- Avgas 100LL 3.18 €/L
- Mogas 2.50 €/L
- Jet A1 2.02€/L

Working hours:
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 to 19:00 local time
- other days from 10:00 to 18:00 local time

Prices and all other information are available at web site http://www.elbaisland-airport.it/en/

Friendly staff and willing to ensure hard surface parking for our fly-in at new apron.

At the end, we had some nice tailwind on a way back home, ranging from 15 to 25 kts, giving us ground speed between 190 and 200 kts.

Last Edited by Emir at 12 Jun 20:19
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

That’s one way to get in on that runway

Looking at Peters pic of an approach to runway 16 reminds me of when we were sitting the other side of the bay a couple of years ago, a Beech Baron made an approach to runway 34 but was too fast to land and on the go around made a left turn inside the mountain full power and a steep bank, how he made it I dont know, then he did the same again, after that he gave up and went somewhere else instead …… frightening !

179 Posts
Sign in to add your message