Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic ignition for D3000 single shaft dual magneto engines

From various other threads

Regarding the STC engine / airframe they got an AML (FAA) for e.g. TB20 (or C182) – AML amendment date 28th March 2014.
see http://www.electroair.net/pdfs/6cyl_aml.pdf

EDxx, Germany

I’ve emailed them with these questions.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Reply:

So how come they got an STC for the TB20? Don’t ask – I have seen the same with some air filters which were never tried either… I asked him that question.

Their STC recommends different spark plugs which (Unison) look ever so close to the Tempest ones, so prob99 these people did realise the dodgy Champion plugs will damage their ignition coil.

Last Edited by Peter at 06 May 20:56
Administrator

Another reply here:

He did not answer my question about how they managed to get the TB20 on their STC when it is clearly wrong.

So it definitely looks like the TB20 STC is not usable even though, ahem, ahem, it is on their STC

Last Edited by Peter at 07 May 14:05
Administrator

Update on this old topic…

Apparently Electroair showed a D3000 replacement ignition system at Airventure 2016.

So something is happening.

BTW one cannot fit any single mag into the existing hole because the gearing is wrong.

Administrator

I’ve read on a US site that Electroair are talking about Jan / Feb of 2019 for the four cylinder version and about a year later for the six cylinder version.

Hmmm, this is almost 2 years after the above post

Administrator

Very interresting!
Can you give us updates about the ignition system, when and if available, please?

Greetings, Axel

LOAN, Austria

The website you need to keep an eye on is http://www.electroair.net

I am told that the units have an EASA STC based on the FAA STC list as published, I am also told that the company is shortly to obtain EASA STC’s for types that don’t have an FAA STC including the DR400.

The only problem is the unit can’t be used on Lycoming engines with a dual magneto but plans are in place to resolve this issue.

From here

Thank you!
But aren´t all Lycomings equipped with dual magnetos?

LOAN, Austria

aerotekt wrote:

But aren´t all Lycomings equipped with dual magnetos?

Yes, but in some models the two magnetos are in the same unit so you can’t just replace one of them.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 30 Sep 15:20
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message