Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic ignition - huge benefits claimed

Peter wrote:

Does make it easier to steal the plane though

You have had a ride in a CJ4 so you know these and other small jets just have a button or two to press to start them up. I guess the door lock is the only anti theft device, although maybe another deterrent is that you have to know how to start the engines and fly it in order to steal it.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Interestingly the question of how the Surefly system does the “distributor”: it doesn’t! It uses the “wasted spark” principle where a spark is sent to all the cylinders and it doesn’t do anything where there is no compressed mixture to ignite. See here local copy

It also does an ignition advance

I’ve seen some discussion on US sites suggesting an explanation for the “variable benefit” reports. The ignition advance is of little or zero value if you fly at lower altitudes.

One owner is reporting a few kt gained at 10000ft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But isn’t the real benefit of this unit the zero maintenance basically it has a TBR/TBO of 2400 hours.

Sadly no EASA approval yet.

From here

LPetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

One was 1000€ + vat

did you consider switching to an e-mag after a price estimate like this?
Lycoming’s new e-mags are just a tad higher than that.

Switzerland

+1 on the electronic mags; just maybe not the Lycoming ones, but the Surefly, if it is certified for your engine. I believe they have EASA approvals now as well.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

+1 on the electronic mags; just maybe not the Lycoming ones, but the Surefly, if it is certified for your engine. I believe they have EASA approvals now as well.

lycoming ones are the re-branded surefly.
they have easa approval too.

Switzerland

Do they have EASA certification for 6 cylinders engines ?

Do they have UK certification?

The Lycoming electronic ignition does not require STC for single mag installations with fixed timing. they have it for 4 and 6 cylinders.
Check out service instruction SI1443R for eligable engines and Service Instruction SI-1569 for instructions

Last Edited by By9468840 at 04 Aug 07:06
Switzerland

By9468840 wrote:

lycoming ones are the re-branded surefly

Yes and no – for example Surefly has a power filtering device built into the latest ones, Lycoming does not. Granted that is a potential issue only on 28V systems, but I’d rather pay the guy who makes the stuff, than some middleman. Either way, that’s the way to go, I think.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message