Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELT / PLB (merged)

@Bookworm: may I then assume that, once EASA OPS rules are effective, my 2-seat craft would be legally OK in all EASA member states with a PLB?

EASA rules (except obviously SERA) don't apply to microlights, and from memory I think you fly a microlight (an "Annex II aircraft") right? If so you would be covered by national legislation.

Yes I fly a microlight, should have said so. Don't know what you mean by "Annex II", though, perhaps that is specific to UK or USA?

But would the Austrians continue to insist on a "real" ELT in microlights, if, in compliance with EASA, they think a PLB good enough for a C152 or PA28?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Yes I fly a microlight, should have said so. Don't know what you mean by "Annex II", though, perhaps that is specific to UK or USA?

Annex II is the bit of EASA's Basic Regulation that specifies the aircraft that are not within its scope (and therefore of its airworthiness, maintenance, licensing or ops rules). It includes:

• Historic aircraft
  • Experimental and homebuilts
  • Microlights (< 450 kg MTOM for 2-seaters)
  • Aircraft less than 70 kg empty

But would the Austrians continue to insist on a "real" ELT in microlights, if, in compliance with EASA, they think a PLB good enough for a C152 or PA28?

That's entirely up to them.

@fenland, did you ever get this resolved?

Are you the EHRD based c172? If so yust go to Vliegwerk Holland.They will install a proper 406 ELT.

I had to change mine 2 years ago.

Dutch law states you need an ELT (406) for all international flights which is easy as we are a veey tiny country.

Commander that particular issue is as yet unresolved and I have stayed with the 121.5 version. I am not EHRD based. How did you resolve the issue and what was the cost and what did you replace it with? Many thanks

UK, United Kingdom

I had Vliegwerk install a new one.. I think it was about 600euro. I would have to look it up.

I think that with a 121,5 elt you would probably even Be illegaal For International flights.

I haven't really kept up with Australian regulations, but one of the more sensible things CASA did a few years ago was allow portable ELTs in lieu of fixed installations....not sure if fixed installations are mandatory now, but the case was made at the time that a great many aircraft crash leaving the ELT antenna damaged meaning no signal gets out....and in the outback this could be a death sentence for any survivors....same for an airplane that lands on water and sinks....anyway I have a 406 PLB with GPS which I carry in my pocket...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I have just read this thread and wonder if there is some confusion.

From

We had the FAA 'men' take a random visit to our airfield a few months ago and they inspected the N reg's, and ours was amongst others that was required to upgrade to 121 + 406 Mhz frequency. We thought we could around the issue by having a hand help PLB on the new frequency, but that wasnt acceptable, at least not on the N reg.

I wish I knew more about 'the men' that visited us. AFAIK, it was a un-scheduled inspection, and I presume they were a delegation from FAA Gatwick. Might we worth trying to find something on the FAA site, or emailing one of the FDO's to see where and what 406 Mhz ELT's apply to. Sorry I dont have any sources to hand as I didnt deal with it myself.

I wonder if these guys were actually from the CAA. The US/EU bilateral for the oversight of FAR 145 repair stations means that CAA will now oversee existing FAR Part 145 maintenance organisations. The nearest "FAA men" are based in Frankfurt.

All the IA's I have spoken with confirm a 121.5 ELT is still OK in terms of airframe legality. Operationally, it is another matter and, for private flights, you might need an installed 406 ELT for places like Holland or have to carry a 406 PLB with GPS for France. UK accepts a PLB if going over water but an ELT is still not required to be fitted. Commercial fights have different rules.

For ease of installation, there are 406 ELT's with integral GPS which saves a lot of time at installation (avoids avionics engineer having to connect it to your 430 or whatever), just needs a remote control on the instrument panel and an antenna. Of course, if any NAA had any sense, they would allow the carrying of a good PLB in place of an ELT on light GA.

All the IA's I have spoken with confirm a 121.5 ELT is still OK in terms of airframe legality.

That is definitely correct because the State of Registry (USA) requires a 121.50 ELT only. An IA can sign the release to service with one of these, OK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message