Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

En Route IR / CB IR / IMC

It would seem that the proposals will be put to the meeting for a possible vote on 16th October. I saw this info on the Flyer forum.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

There is a collection of EASA documents here.

It sounds like the IMC Rating may get another 5 years.

This extract is in there somewhere

8. Until 8 April 2019, a Member State may issue an authorisation to a pilot to exercise specified limited privileges to fly aeroplanes under instrument flight rules before the pilot complies with all of the requirements necessary for the issue of an instrument rating in accordance with this Regulation, subject to the following conditions:
(a) the Member State shall only issue these authorisations when justified by a specific local need which cannot be met by the ratings established under this Regulation;
(b) the scope of the privileges granted by the authorisation shall be based on a safety risk assessment carried out by the Member State, taking into account the extent of training necessary for the intended level of pilot competence to be achieved;
(c) the privileges of the authorisation shall be limited to the airspace of the Member State’s national territory or parts of it;
(d) the authorisation shall be issued to applicants having completed appropriate training with qualified instructors and demonstrated the required competencies to a qualified examiner, as determined by the Member State;
(e) the Member State shall inform the Commission, EASA and the other Member States of the specificities of this authorisation, including its justification and safety risk assessment;
(f) the Member State shall monitor the activities associated with the authorisation to ensure an acceptable level of safety and take appropriate action in case of identifying an increased risk or any safety concerns;
(g) the Member State shall carry out a review of the safety aspects of the implementation of the authorisation and submit a report to the Commission by 8 April 2017 at the latest.’

No - I don't understand it either

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Now it is going to get interesting for those of us who hold a US IR ;-)

Do you think it has applicability to the April 2014 N-reg / FAA IR screwing proposal? Maybe it has.

Administrator

Of course nothing is for sure, but AFAIK we are to expect in a worst case scenario that in addition to the US IR we will need an EASA IR as well.

Under the circumstances of the CB IR, still not really appealing but at least doable for most pilots. As they already have enough hours and will probably not have any issues.

But what if all of these new regulations are postponed and we are still asked to have an EASA IR in 2014?! Then we are stuck with the current conversion route. That would be horrible.

I have said this before and may be wrong but I see no way at all of the CB IR being around in time for somebody to actually do the CB IR (the conversion route, which has no written exams but which will involve some flight training to pass the IR test, despite no dual time being stipulated) and have it all done before April 2014.

Obviously I hope I am wrong but it is initially in the hands of EASA and then (if it passes) in the hands of the FTO industry through which it will have to be done.

And for most condidates, FTO = hotel residence.

The worst bit of the present conversion route is the 7 exams. The min 15hrs of flight training is probably, for the average "modern IFR pilot" condidate, about the same as they will need for the CB IR to get good enough on NDB holds and approaches, the test protocol (e.g. calling out "ice check" every 5 mins / every 1000ft etc) and generally sharp enough to pass the IRT.

It's all been left a bit too late... against the arbitrary April 2014 derogation. Obviously the 2014 date has been left in place, to keep up the pressure and to maximise the FUD factor working against the FAA IR route.

Administrator

Yes, unless the format has been agreed, and a draft question bank has been submitted for review, and there has been some kind of early adopters kind of UAT, I cant see it being ready even to allow the quickest and keenest person to have it by April - if they need it by then of course.

For me its a personal ambition to have a full IR but I also know my limitations and that means that both money I can budget for flying and the aircraft I fly (Archer II) will always restrict me and I wont make full use of it. Therefore currently the combination of EIR + IMC/IR(R) might well serve me just fine - though there is that desire to be hotter on NDB's and instrument approaches nudging me towards a CBM IR, if it happens.

Those who are doing it ab initio will need to do the exams (how many I have not seen - maybe 2?) and they have only their own deadline.

It is the FAA IR holders (the bulk of the UK IR community) who will in theory be illegal from April 2014 unless they can organise a non EU resident "operator".

What you will get with the CB IR over the IMCR+EIR is the ability to fly approaches outside the UK.

Also the EIR will have a rather bizzare requirement to cancel IFR before the start of any SID or STAR, which could mean cancelling IFR at a high altitude maybe 50nm before the destination. It will work well when the wx is reasonable and you know a few tricks to play the system with - tricks which VFR-only touring pilots tend to know.

With the training increment being apparently small, and the theory and the annual revalidation flight being the same, the CB IR will be the one to go for.

Administrator

From PiperArcher on the other thread:

Seems the UK can continue to issue the IMCr until 2019, which is good news and will hopefully gives PPL's something to aim for and keep them interested in aviation. I know the EIR was on the cards anyhow, and that is applicable to the wider European population, but good to see a safety 'win' over EASA also.

Link

Administrator

This is very good news. One of the best bits of news ever for UK pilots.

I had long suspected that the CAA was waiting until the last minute to pull something out.

The only alternative scenario is that they are completely stupid and useless and politically inept, which I never quite believed.

There is a new 5 year deadline for the IMC Rating, but frankly, after another 5 years, nobody in Brussels or Cologne is going to have the stomach to waste yet more political capital to fight this again, so it will just carry on.

Administrator
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message