Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine Failure: Which airport do you choose?

The advantages are not negligeable actually: judging height, inspecting the field, falling back into an automated pattern.

EGTF, LFTF

The NTSB has frequent accounts of fatalities where after engine problems they didn’t reach the runway. Some from the circuit.
( And one where ATC directed the pilot to an airfield which still existed on their database, but had been built-over.)
There are big differences in the height above ground we fly, and the likelyhood of a good outcome from a hillside landing, depending on manoeuvrability and stall speed. So the answers will differ.
The requirement to fly a circuit, often insisted upon by instructors in PFLs, is in my opinion, crazy.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

your only real consideration is the well being of the pax.

Not if you have built the aircraft yourself, and it’s a single seater I think landing at an airfield is as good as 100% success. Landing on something that looks OK from 5k feet, may end up being barely usable, and the risk of injury and death greatly increases vs a runway. It’s also much easier to get first aid, at an airport, should the landing not go exactly as planned. Therefore I also think the pax would appreciate it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Compromising safety for the sake of money is something I do every day. I’d be safer if I didn’t have to risk the drive to work

My motivation towards not losing my aircraft has little to do with the loss of the aircraft’s monetary value, I happen to like my aircraft very much… Insurance is a separate issue, and in my mind has to do with protecting myself from others, not covering the financial value of my plane. Regardless in the US no aircraft insurance at all, liability or hull, is legally required and it makes no difference to the record of flight safety.

You could argue that carrying liability insurance encourages people to take undue risks and I think that would be equally inaccurate.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Aug 15:10

That strikes me as a serious flight safety concern. I can just see people being killed in a misjudged attempt to save the airframe.

And if anyone thinks “no-one would do that” just think of all the times when people (including myself) compromise safety for the sake if money.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Remember that the aircraft is now owned by the insurance company, your only real consideration is the well being of the pax.

Please note that in some countries it is normal not to have hull coverage. In Hungary I can hardly think of a privately owned (i.e. not ATO or similar) plane having hull coverage. About 20-30% of cars have it, but mostly because banks require it for financing.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Great discussion guys! You guys are all over it! Some really good thoughts and obviously you have put some thought into it. The “crosswind” angling wind scenario is really tricky and I’d have to do some serious math there.

I appreciate the openness to learn and explore new topics over here. It’s refreshing! Thanks!

Fighter Pilot Tactics for GA Engine L...
KVGT (Las Vegas, NV)

At the altitudes that most of us fly, we are nearly always outside the glideing range of an airfield.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I still that is too simplistic.

The best chances of a good outcome may well be an off airfield landing nearer than either runway. Remember that the aircraft is now owned by the insurance company, your only real consideration is the well being of the pax.

So a golf course, field, road or meadow may well be best.

EGKB Biggin Hill

is to turn towards the airport BEFORE trying to sort things out

I think so too. With the gliding range on SD always on, you can monitor the situation. Then, if the engine quit, go straight to the nearest runway within gliding range (if available). SD may be off due to changing wind, but on average the error is minimal, and not really an issue unless the runway is on the very edge. I believe it is the best calculation you can do, that gives you the highest chance of a good outcome.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message