Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine on condition for hours but using for IR training

Hi all

Thanks to the admin team for approval. Was recommended this site for GA.

I own a Cessna 172 with a Lycoming O360 that has gone past extension on hours. I believe it cannot be used for ab initio training, but can it get used for other training, such as getting an IR? It won’t be leased to a school, it’s just my aircraft and I’ll occasionally let another individual fly it. It’s not for public use either

Thanks

EDIT: I have looked all over the CAA website, but cannot find any confirmation on this

Last Edited by iNveiN at 27 Jan 14:09
EGMC, United Kingdom

Airplanes used for training in for profit organizations need to be in a controlled maintenance environment (CAO/CAMO), and it is up to those to follow or deviate from SI/SL/SB (TBO) recommendations.

So for CB IR training your own plane can have 10000 hrs on the engine and prop if your ML AMP specifies it (ie you do not follow OEM TBO). You’re however also directly responsible for the outcome of maintenance and airworthiness.

I don’t know if the UKCAA has already changed this, but I think not. It was valid until brexit.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 27 Jan 16:13
always learning
LO__, Austria

At least in EASA-land it is simple to do that for all training that is done outside of a ATO. For training inside an ATO the question gets complex and is also depending on the (CAA of) the country we are talking about.

Germany

In owner aircraft training after PPL: YES, as ATO aircraft for PPL it’s strict NO (12 years & under TBO)

You will have to look very hard to find an ATO that accepts to train and do IR test in owner aircraft, even if it’s 1h SMOH they refuse and it’s a big NO on usual types (PA28, C172, DA40) for mysterious reasons that only these ATO seems to know, so the question of what UK CAA allows is moot and purely theoretical

In the other hand, there are 3 “flying groups” in UK SE (2*Blackbushes, 1*North Weald) who operate and manage privately owned aircrafts, they also do training & rentals, they have good contacts with nearby ATO, you may want to take your business with these guys? they would know better if the aircraft ticks the box !

PS: you can do IMCR training in owner aircraft from own grass strip just matter of finding an instructor (and examiner)

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Jan 16:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks all for the responses, this is UK based aircraft on G reg

I do have an instructor that happily teaches in privately owned aircraft, so I do not believe this to be an issue.

Thank you Idra for clarifying that after PPL training on condition is fine, that’s what I wanted to hear!

EGMC, United Kingdom

I am pretty sure you can find a freelancer IRI / FI/IR to sit in your plane, engine on-condition, but the last 10hrs (?) of the CB IR need to be done in an FTO and what they want will be the limiting factor. It always is… most FTOs are “industrial CPL/IR production” businesses and won’t put your plane on their approved list even if it was brand new.

I did my UK IR in my N-reg TB20, FAA Part 91, but a year later that school vanished, so these doors open and then close… just like so much in aviation. Always grab an opportunity; it may be gone next year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EGSG Stapleford has also provided IR training on an owner aircraft.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Discussion of equipment requirements for IR training and test moved here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message