Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ESNG Gallivare NDB ILS RWY 30 - why "NDB ILS"?

Planning my flight for tomorrow I found interesting approach plate for Gallivare, which says NDB ILS Rwy 30. I never saw this before, it was always either ILS or NDB approach. Is there any other meaningful explanation for this apart from the fact that the NDB is used for racetrack and generally getting there (if your aircraft hypothetically lacks gps equipment)?

LKHK, Czech Republic

Pytlak wrote:

Planning my flight for tomorrow I found interesting approach plate for Gallivare, which says NDB ILS Rwy 30. I never saw this before, it was always either ILS or NDB approach. Is there any other meaningful explanation for this apart from the fact that the NDB is used for racetrack and generally getting there (if your aircraft hypothetically lacks gps equipment)?
It means that NDB is required for the approach. In most cases all aids required for the approach will be included in the approach designator.

Recently, the rules for designating approaches have changed so only the primary aid is stated in the approach designator. If additional aids are required, there will be a note on the plate. Of course, it will take some time before all approach designators have been changed.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Jul 18:28
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In “classical IFR” you cannot navigate using GPS. Also you cannot navigate anywhere except direct to a navaid

I did wonder why the “NDB ILS” name… still it makes little sense because often you need a DME also and is there a “NDB DME ILS” plate?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In Germany, all non-precision approaches used to be VOR-DME , NDB-DME, etc. but as AA wrote, the rules changed a few years ago and they are now all VOR, NDB, etc. approaches, with a note on the plate “DME required”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 Jul 13:10
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Isn’t there any timed NDB approaches in Germany?

Peter wrote:

and is there a “NDB DME ILS” plate?

Yes, in Sweden I think that I have seen quite a few. :)

ESSZ, Sweden

EGTK Oxford
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message