Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Estimated value of my aircraft

It wouldn’t interest you that you’re getting an aircraft which has had a lot of work done on it? Personally, I like to know what work has been carried out on a machine I’m going to invest my money/trust in. Thanks for your input.

And blueline, I appreciate your thoughts. However, there is no way it needs 15k of exterior work done, that is madness. An entire paint job costs no more than 5k. One rip in a seat doesn’t cost 5k to repair… not sure where you are getting these exorbitant figures from.

Last Edited by Scenic_Flyer at 18 Jul 12:49

Unfortunately, as with selling any asset, it will only be worth what anyone is willing to pay for it. If no one wants to purchase an aeroplane that you have for sale, it will be worth zero, but valued to you. In the current market, only assets, priced attractively “to sell”, are selling. Therefore, do you wish to give it away, keep it, and if buying something else, look at a trade deal. Unfortunately, the money you put in, to keep it airworthy, and flying, is technically lost. You are now selling an airworthy aeroplane. Big deal……..it requires to be airworthy to sell. Current buyers appear to get hung up on avionics, or lack of. An 8.33 system, plus a Mode S, appear a pre requisite, otherwise they are looking for discounting. If I may, you require to appreciate this, and to price for sale, the asset, minus the fit costs of these two items. The market, is pretty poor, however, there appear to be a dearth of SEP, with decent kit. These appear to be selling, sometimes at premium. The Catch 22 of course is that if you upgrade, then you will be daft to sell it. It is the dilemma that a lot of owners, myself very much included, wrestle with.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
If I may, you require to appreciate this, and to price for sale, the asset, minus the fit costs of these two items.

What’s that in English, please?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Well it was airworthy before that work was done. And I appreciate that people are looking for these types of avionics but I’m seeing kit a/c with none of these things for sale for like 30k… crazy right?! But yes, maybe 25k is a bit much for mine, you’re right.

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

What’s that in English, please?

It simply means that as a buyer I would expect the price to be reduced to reflect the anticipated expenditure.

Scenic_Flyer wrote:

It wouldn’t interest you that you’re getting an aircraft which has had a lot of work done on it? Personally, I like to know what work has been carried out on a machine I’m going to invest my money/trust in. Thanks for your input.

what is of interest to me is what my engineer tells me is required at the pre-buy inspection, not what has already been done. I am not setting out to be negative, just trying to reflect what I see going on around me on a daily basis.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Absolutely, I totally understand. The only reason I mentioned the previous expenditure is that I assume the mechanical work which needs to be done to the a/c is now reduced.

An entire paint job costs no more than 5k.

Where in Europe??!

Sorry, but I had an offer from a very well-known German aircraft painter for 18k Euros NET. A less well-known Czech outfit would paint a plane the size of an AA5 for 10 to 12k Euros. Nowhere have I seen cheaper offers, and I honestly don’t think you get acceptable results for less.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Well sure, if you only go to very well known companies they will ask top dollar. You can still find small, less well known, outfits which can do a cracking job without robbing you. I was quoted £3,000 (not sure what that is in €) for a full bare metal paint job.

- buyer will have to buy and install an used 430 for 8,33 kHZ plus the accompanying indicator = 8 k Euros
- buyer will have to buy and install a Mode S transponder = 3 k Euros

hm, the Trig transponder TT21 and 8,33 radio TY91 both go for some 2400 € … to which installation cost and probably tax must be added, but still it’s quite a difference.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

One of the first posts on EuroGA was from someone who had a plane re-done in and out by a firm in Lithuania. He posted an absolutely glowing report on the company.

A year later it was on controller.com as a “project” aircraft i.e. worthless junk, best for parting out. He never came back to post detail properly but I think the paint came off and the leather was not fire rated.

You won’t get a good paint job for 3k. But it may be good enough. One would not spend 10k+ painting a 20k plane. Not unless it already has all the kit, really fits your mission profile, and you want to keep it long-term.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message