Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Euro reg to N reg transfer / FAA DAR discussion

Ok gentlemen thank you some far for the input. I think this clears up the question...

so to conclude

FAA STC's-->Major/Minor Alterations (337 sign off by an A&P or IA is covering the STC for the particular aircraft for administrative purposes, should be a non complicated process)

FAA Field Approvals Major/Minor-->(the description of the alteration mussed be very well described as there is no reference to the STC and also signed off by an IA/ A&P depending on what you do..)

The advantage of the FAA STC is that it gives you more options to do changes which on a EU aircraft would be very expensive/complicated as most FAA STC's are not EASA Approved (or don't exist) ... I think it is about time that they solve these issues in BASA agreements btw EASA and FAA and not on national level anymore..but here I start hallucinating again

EBST

337 sign off by an A&P or IA

337 signed by an IA or by a Part 145 Repair Station, only. An A&P can't sign a 337.

Perhaps an FAA inspector, or a DAR, can sign a 337 too

Field Approvals Major/Minor

A Field Approval is done only for a Major mod. Minor mods don't need approval; it's just a logbook entry.

A Field Approval is a 337 sent to an FAA FSDO who have to approve it and sign it. See my SN3500 writeup (I know it's quite long, but I got it checked by a DER and a DAR). You need a helpful FSDO and an IA.

The advantage of the FAA STC is that it gives you more options to do changes which on a EU aircraft would be very expensive/complicated as most FAA STC's are not EASA Approved

AFAIK (not sure) the data used to obtain an FAA STC can be used to apply for an EASA STC.

For example if you pay an FAA DER to generate a design package (an 8110-3 form) to obtain an FAA STC, that design package (not the STC itself) can be used to apply for an EASA STC.

Yes, I know, it is all vague because EASA can always say "we don't think this data is good enough" but that, I was recently told by one UK engineer, is what that recent BASA was about. There is some kind of obligation on EASA to accept FAA design data (and vice versa). These treaties are usually vague; the old one between the FAA and the UK CAA (which EASA likes to tell everybody is now dead) is basically many many pages of vague nonsense.

This is not a straight conversion of an FAA STC into an EASA STC. Only Australia does that. I don't believe an FAA STC itself means anything to EASA.

If somebody knows more detail, I am sure many would be interested...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AFAIK (not sure) the data used to obtain an FAA STC can be used to apply for an EASA STC. For example if you pay an FAA DER to generate a design package (an 8110-3 form) to obtain an FAA STC, that design package (not the STC itself) can be used to apply for an EASA STC.<

I had that proposal from Hartzell a couple of years ago for a two blade prop which is FAA STC's but not EASA...if I would buy the prop they would support me in getting the EASA STC... I backed off as it would have taken at least six months... In addition most FAA STC'd companies are not interested in doing this as there is serious cost related to this as far as I know...Would love to know more details on all this...?

I asked the same question from D'Shannon aviation (Beech Mod's) where they asked directly the EASA STC program responsible if all the Pre-EASA STC's they have where grandfathered and recognised...I was in cc of this request there is still no reply from EASA....I believe there is a serious lack of seriousness of EASA to accommodate GA in the request to be helpful and understanding (I don't think they understand it has an economic impact in negative sense..)... The grandfather rule is crap to my understanding as it is like looking for the holy grale somewhere in Europe (leaving room for a lot of interpretation)...and applying for a new one based on a previous FAA seems to be very difficult....

EBST

I know a good one, based in Switzerland and he even flies a Mooney (which is forgiveable if he's really good )>

Hi Peter! It would be great if you can forward his address to me. Nobody in the IFO list is willing to work with Experimentals and YAKs.

Thanks Detlef

KPGD SSWM EDGB

The DAR list is here and I see him on there, in France this time. Lloyd Nelson.

If he doesn't respond then drop me an email as I may have more recent contact details.

Administrator

I am considering another N reg conversion undertaking, having done 2 of them in the past I know the process reasonably well. Previously I used Alan Ferguson and an American DAR called Brad Burdue. Neither of them are still in the business I gather. I’ve been looking for another guy in Europe who is reasonably priced. I got one price from a guy in Luxembourg with an Irish sounding name. He wanted €7500 to issue a certificate of airworthiness which was just off the wall crazy. Previously I had paid €1900 and €1100 respectively. The other costs in painting off the reg, getting an elt, new books, new placards, annual, trust and so on all add up so I am going to be cost conscious. Also my aircraft is prob only worth €40k at most so its silly to waste money on a one day paperwork mission.

Has anyone got a recommendation?

Thanks,

William

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

There is a list of FAA DARs here

I have not used any of those listed but have in the past corresponded with Lloyd Nelson (who sounded reasonable) and have passed his name to others who were apparently happy.

The Frankfurt office is closed, I believe.

This may also be useful. You need to do considerable due diligence before doing this otherwise you can end up with an unregistered aircraft which cannot be moved except on the back of a trailer, with the wings off.

Administrator

Lloyd has done a couple for us, a good guy, but I cannot remember what the cost was.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I am a US citizen not resident in the EU with a G-Reg plane that will be based in the EU. I set up a UK Ltd. co to own it. As a consequence I have to make tax filings. I am prepared to pay for my own flying based on an economic dry lease rate, but understand that I am at risk of an audit. I addition, I face the cost and headache of tax filings. Therefore, I would like to transfer the plane to N-Reg. I would not use a trust. I would own the plane directly. Can anyone provide advice on how to go about this, whom to contact for professional help (psychiatric, probably in order too) on this issue?

FWIW I now hold both EASA and FAA PPLs.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 12 Mar 08:58
Tököl LHTL

There are lots of angles here.

I don’t have a PC so can’t write much but just one thing I note is that ltd co taxation is not affected by the reg of the aircraft. Or even if held by a US trustee.

If you are a US citizen then of course you don’t need a trustee.

I also don’t think UK company taxation is affected by the citizenship of its shareholders or Directors.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message