Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA fly-in - Venice Lido LIPV, 18/19 May 2019

When on says ‘25 May’ does one envisage flying there on Friday 24th; enjoying Venice on the Saturday 25th; and returning on Sunday 26th or possibly Monday, 27th?
I think this is a nice destination and will give it further publicity once it has been confirmed.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

LJPZ is nice too and has asphalt. Just a short taxi ride from Piran.

Yes; we did exactly that in 2015. Venice Lido was cancelled at short notice due to the film festival running and we went to Portoroz (Piran) instead. Most people then cancelled because they wanted “Venice”…

When on says ‘25 May’ does one envisage flying there on Friday 24th; enjoying Venice on the Saturday 25th; and returning on Sunday 26th or possibly Monday, 27th?

On our fly-ins, we tend to do the main meet-up on the Saturday. Then some work it as Fri-Mon (and stay 3 nights) while those who can only get the weekend off work arrive Sat and depart Sun. Either way works.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ahh I see.
Lido is worth the grass runway ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter, you can just stay on the grass unless you need to refuel. Here are a few pictures, but I don’t have any that show the entry to the ramp. I often see retractables on the hard ramp; they don’t seem worried about the transition from grass to asphalt. Picture 2 is a view of the ramp from the cafe. The road on the left in picture 3 is not a taxiway.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 17 Nov 15:48
Tököl LHTL

Well glory be, I found a photo of your “dodgy transition”:

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 17 Nov 16:08
Tököl LHTL

And here are some truly non-professional shots of Futurist paintings in the terminal building:

Tököl LHTL

LJPZ and Piran are delightful, but not in the same league as LIPV and Venice…

Tököl LHTL

I’d love to visit an EuroGA fly in and Venice Lido sounds like a nice destination. I don’t think my wife will let me fly away for an entire weekend though (if weather is VFR flyable at all), and I need a lot more practice before such a long trip anyways.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

She can fly by airline to Venice / Tessera, which is just over the water. Justine might actually do the same…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter’s suggestion is good: send her by commercial flight. Maybe she’ll even fly back with you…. If I go, I’ll probably preposition the plane there one week before and fly in commercially, with a Sunday departure in the Rallye going back. Venice is a great suggestion for wives/girlfriends. Few will pass it up! I know my wife will definitely want to join.

Of course, the risk is that she’ll have a great weekend in Venice without you (when you execute a weather diversion to some obscure village with a grass strip).

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 17 Nov 17:36
Tököl LHTL
Sign in to add your message