Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA fly-in - Venice Lido LIPV, 18/19 May 2019

MedEwok wrote:

What would be the easiest but shortest route through the Alps from N. Germany to Venice in a C172R at MTOW for a pilot entirely inexperienced with mountain flying?

I would say the Brenner route is probably the best one for someone not experienced too much. You can either follow the Inn valley to Innsbruck from the East via Kufstein and then the Brenner motorway over the pass literally. From Hannover the route would go roughly via Warburg, Fulda and Erlangen, then East of the Munich airspace to enter the Inn Valley at Rosenheim – Kufstein – Innsbruck – Brenner – Bolzano and from there to Vicenza for a bit of low level flying towards Venice. The route is about 550 NM which would make me think you could do to split it in two segments for a break and fuel. Straubing is near this route for instance or Eggenfelden or Innsbruck itself as well.

As I said, one thing you might consider is to take an “Alpeneinweisung” with a savvy Instructor e.g. out of Augsburg (I know one there who does this regularly) or elsewhere in that region. It will give you a good insight of what alpine flying is like and it usually is wonderful!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I’d prefer beginning or end of May. But I’ll try to make it regardless of the date!

Thunderstorm18 wrote:

what exactly are your legs over Slovenian Alps

IFR: LOWG – RADLY – RIFEN (Cancel IFR) – LIPV
There are two mountains one 8,5k the other 9,5k.

VFR: LOWG – RADLY – VFR TRANSIT ROUTE (around LJLJ TMA) – RIFEN – LIPV
Terrain not an issue on this route.

I wholeheartedly recommend LJMB. Do some touch and goes there (6 landings around 35€).

If you need another stop I’d suggest LJPZ over LJLJ.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Mooney_Driver wrote:

or Innsbruck itself as well.

Or pair up with someone/pick up someone north of the alps and do the second leg over the alps together. Another advantage of this is sharing the cost.
As Innsbruck was mentioned: it is no problem on a calm clear day, but having someone with you who is familiar with the area and atc will make it more enjoyable.

always learning
LO__, Austria

A quick and dirty look on booking.com shows vastly more availability for the preceeding weekend i.e. Saturday 18th May 2019. So “something” is going on on the 25th.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Landing at Lido a couple of years ago.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Middle of May is also fine with me. What is more important is to decide a date soon to ensure aircraft availability.

ESME, ESMS

OK, let’s go with Venice LIPV as the definite destination. I will decide this week on the date and run an email mailshot.

The main risk with LIPV is that if there has been recent heavy rain, the only people who will be able to go there will be renters In that case we need a Plan B and perhaps Padova LIPU is ok (has customs and avgas AFAIK).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Quote there will be renters

…and conventional undercarriage types :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply and tips & tricks Snoopy,

Snoopy wrote:

There are two mountains one 8,5k the other 9,5k.

Noticed that routing throughout DOL VOR you do not need to bother about the two hills you are
talking plus that you will enjoy more the landscape on 6500 ft
Funny is that using this route, form where I’m based it on VFR preflight planning with three landings
shows that it will be only 15 minutes longer than going via Brenner pass, avoiding the weather risks.
Of course Brenner and the Alps is another story but one IMHO should reserve more time for this just in case the weather is adverse.

@Dimme this should be valid for you to since I have to fly over Skåne.

ES?? - Sweden

@Thunderstorm18 thanks for the tip!

Although I’m thinking of taking a detour to the Balkans the days prior to the meet-up, it’s not often we fly that south from Sweden, so I would like to take advantage of that.

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message