Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA fly-in - Venice Lido LIPV, 18/19 May 2019

Can we please have everyone who might like to come to say so, either here or off-forum, so I can judge the level of interest

This was supposed to be a “grass roots” fly-in (we have in the past been criticised for going to “posh” places) but I know a lot of people will simply not come because

• Venice is a massive tourist ripoff
  • grass runway
  • no IFR

Grass alone normally reduces the turnout by 1/3 – fairly obviously because the community which actually goes to places doesn’t do much grass.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am interested in coming yes.

Venice is a rip of but doesn’t have to be. I got a hotel at San Marco (right at the square) via booking com for less than 70 Euros a day a few years back. Apart, Lido is also very nice, no need to go in the center if you don’t want.

Yes Lido is a grass runway but I think a lot of people know the quality of it. Who needs concrete and IFR can go to Venice International. But I think for most planes Lido is more than adequate.

I hope we will have a nice turn out and will try very hard to make it happen for myself. No guarantee though.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Hi Peter, we are interested

Peter wrote:

Venice is a massive tourist ripoff

grass runway

no IFR

Only if you hang around the tourist places, there are plenty of other options like cycle hire on the Lido, seeing the Grand Canal from the waterbus, getting lost walking around the back streets, listening to the orchestra in Piazza San Marco at 10 in the evening when all the crowds have left … etc.

Your forumite ‘Denopa’ went there in his PA46 and said that the grass runway was in good shape.

no IFR ….. IFR would completely spoil the arrival into LIPV

My level of interest with wife is high. Staying at a Lido hotel can be quite nice and a good way to keep costs down. Access to the center of Venice is easy, or you can walk to the beach and go swimming (although May might be cold).

The Lido airport is one of those places every pilot should visit at least once. No one who shows will regret it.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 23 Nov 09:08
Tököl LHTL

As mentioned earlier, I’m also interested.

ESME, ESMS

I’m in – for me it’s a short 1 hour hop. However, if the weather is not VFR then I don’t see sense in flying to alternate (e.g. Venice International) – it’s easier to postpone the trip. With today’s availability of accommodation via booking.com and Airbnb, I never book too early in advance. More often I book when I land to destination.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I’m in too!

always learning
LO__, Austria

I would like to be there in Venice with you. But VFR weather, rental aircraft availability, getting extra days off from work (as a buffer) and most importantly family agreement/support need to align properly to let me participate.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I am in.

As an alternative you could consider Dubrovnik, it ticks all the boxes:
- Interesting place to visit
- Concrete runway
- IFR

However ‘ripoff’-wise, it’s the same as Venice. But Venice or not, one decides whether to book Danieli or AirBnB and how much ‘ripoff’ will experience.

Belgrade LYBE, Serbia

dvukovic wrote:

As an alternative you could consider Dubrovnik

I’d be more likely to come, because I haven’t been there yet :)

ELLX
Sign in to add your message