Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA fly-in - Venice Lido LIPV, 18/19 May 2019

Hope to join you.
Have you decided dates yet?
There is a wonderful, cheap, trip along the Lido and attached islands, using bus and ferries.
When I want last, I used workmen’s cafés and it was the cheapest holiday I have ever had!

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Now, I want to come!

Venice is expensive and a tourist ripoff, for sure. But somehow it ends up being worth it, I find. It’s just such a spectacular place that you forgive the overpriced food and masses. It really blew my mind when I was there and I could see the wings of history in every nook and cranny. Spectacular place.

The latest suggestion is the weekend of 18th/19th May 2019.

The idea would be for everyone to stay on the Lido island, where there seems to be accommodation and at reasonable prices. Then people can pop over to Venice City if they want to, by boat.

If the runway was unsuitable then Padova LIPU is not far away. That is VFR only too however (there used to be a rather useless IAP years ago). For proper IFR you need Tessera LIPZ which is the main Venice airport but that has no avgas. Or Trevizo; also no avgas (as I found out some years ago, having landed there on a diversion after the tower told me they have avgas ).

On past record, if the wx is rubbish almost nobody will come anyway. Backup locations attract a very small turnout, as do backup dates. We did Portoroz instead of Venice-Lido in 2015 and about 3/4 dropped out immediately, even though Portoroz (Piran actually) is really nice. I think each location attracts largely people who want to go to that location.

This would be a kind of “grass roots” fly-in, and hopefully lots of local pilots can participate But someone needs to organise that – a bit like was done for e.g. Carcassonne.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It would be nice to host the “dinner” with prior arrangement at the airfield restaurant… talking planes is much nicer when you can see them ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy
The airfield cafe probably isn’t suitable (doesn’t really serve much food). We probably should reserve a restaurant 1-2weeks in advance. Good ones are hard to find.

Tököl LHTL

Maybe it’s open again in May.
I’m sure we’ll find a good one in Lido town center as well.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Actually booking with catering (or agreeing on a menu) might make sense. I just have never been there (including in May and during the summer) when the restaurant was actually working, only the bar. In that picture there’s no food being served!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 24 Nov 07:34
Tököl LHTL

Yes we need a proper restaurant for the Saturday evening.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Finding a “proper restaurant” in a 20 kilometer radius of Venice, including on Lido, is going to be more difficult than for a newly minted PPL to get to Lido in the first place through low level IMC and lenticular in the Alps!

Only local knowledge will do, and for understandable reasons, people in the know are reluctant to give up such addresses. They will take you, but only blindfolded and by a circuitous route.

There is a middling seafood place, not great, but not bad either, generally full, where we eat on Lido. I can find it on foot but don’t remember the name. Will try to find it on Google maps and post. You can easily do worse. We would definitely need to reserve in advance for a large number. But there must be good restaurants for the people who actually live on Lido. Does anyone know someone who lives there?

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 24 Nov 08:01
Tököl LHTL

Found it:
https://www.osteriaalmerca.it

Via Dandola 17, Lido

It has an online reservation system.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 24 Nov 08:12
Tököl LHTL
Sign in to add your message