Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

I think a “VFR” fly-in is a very good idea.

May I suggest that we do this in two parts:

1 – We chuck around some locations for the “bigger” one and then I make the decision on where and when.

2 – I will leave it to a “self organised” group of you to decide on where and when to do the VFR one. I am not going to push that decision one way or another, and e.g. Schengen-only is OK. You just need to bear in mind that a Schengen-only airport will make it an extra hassle for UK pilots.

If this sounds good, let’s have a new thread for the VFR fly-in.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Deauville LFRG, followed by a short taxi ride will bring you to Honfleur. Nice village at the coast, will make the ladies happy, and has some great (fish) restaurants.

Peter, excuse me for disagreeing strongly. We should never organise anything that by_its_concept excludes anybody.

As some of us are VFR only while others are IFR only (though only by their own choice, as I understand), any meeting we plan should be at an a/d allowing both IFR and VFR operations, and by all classes of G/A planes, from Bizjet down to microlight. As an alternative, an arrangement with two aerodromes at very close distance could be even better. like EDTX / EDTY.

Most of all, I resent the idea of “sub-groups” – if ever we number in the thousands we could consider that, but such is neither for today nor for tomorrow.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Central Europe sounds good for us northeners, makes it doable even for a weekend visit. Also agree with Jan here, the more the better so don’t force it to be IFR or VFR only.

As for suggestions, how about EDAY? (Berlin)

I think the problem is that whatever happens someone will be excluded. I have been from the last two due to distance and I also think you have been as well. EDTY/EDTX is a very good place for a Central European meeting. But would ‘exclude’ me because I am based there. I am being facetious but I think you see my point. I would of course attend a fly in there, just hoping that the next one will be somewhere I could fly to as well.

What about being really community focused and say there is someone like Peter, who prefers ILS with bells and whistles, that some people off lifts to the final VFR airfield. I see complications with that approach but haven’t thought about it in detail yet, it is just an idea on the table,

But thee are certainly inclusive options, like Colmar, zweibrucken, Mannheim, egglesbach, are ones that come to my mind. There is also Konstanz/freidreichshafen. All of these I think meet with you suggestion, what do you think?

Edited to say that I placed the suggestion, but what I meant when I said VFR was not necessarily VFR only, but something that is achievable with slower, non IR aircraft. Which by definition should include higher performance IFR aircraft.

Last Edited by italianjon at 31 May 18:50
EDHS, Germany

There is no intention to exclude anybody.

Let’s start with some factors which may be most relevant to those with less capable aircraft. A few airports don’t allow microlights. Many airports don’t have Customs and many don’t have instrument approaches That’s why another fly-in looks a good idea. You can choose a “central” place, for accessibility, but which may perhaps be less scenic. Normally that is the main tradeoff. If Mali Losinj was in Liverpool or Rotterdam or Frankfurt, it would not as scenic

BTW it isn’t a case of me preferring an ILS. Most approaches in reasonable weather (say, cloudbase more than 1500ft AAL and good vis) are flown as visual approaches, because it is quicker. But the theoretical ability to arrive on an instrument approach makes one more likely to go. A hard surface airport also allows more people to attend because it removes the risk of getting stuck in mud, etc. But most owners of very light aircraft are OK with grass.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Let’s keep the suggestions coming, Colmar would also be helpful, but at the limit for a low slow visit from the UK.

Rothenburg also an option, and Deauville.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

QuoteRothenburg also an option, and Deauville.

Deauville gets my vote. Been there before, and a lovely place, and last time I looked they did customs and had an ILS.

Last Edited by PiperArcher at 31 May 22:55

Some additional ideas for both Vfr and ifr flying:

Oostende: near Bruges and the beach.
Antwerpen
Bremen
Le touqet

jkv
EHEH

We are full of techie geeks on this forum…. Exposing myself as the lowest geek of them all

If those that are interested in attending this fly-in stated their home base and a NM range we could produce a google map of concentric circles, illustrating the ranges that people are prepared to fly. Where they over lap is the best field for the majority.

Could that be done easily?

EDHS, Germany
Sign in to add your message