Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

That’s contrary to what soooo many pilots have found / been told by the airport in recent years.

When I tried to go there, way back, I didn’t even get that far. The phone wasn’t even answered. A colleague flew there anyway (from Switzerland – a brave man) and found the place deserted, so he quickly got out of there.

Maybe they are much better organised these days?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was there at least twice in the recent years, from or to switzerland, and it always worked. I didn’t try to send a fax though.

LSZK, Switzerland

Sounds brilliant but please have a thought for those who have neither IR nor Oxygen to get over the Alps from the north. Of course there is a lower level way but a massive detour required. Unless someone can suggest a way.

You can cross the Swiss Alps VFR at 7500’ on at least two routes — that will still give you around 1000’ terrain clearance at the highest points. I did that (twice) at around 250 hours TT, no big problem, but you have to be mentally prepared for changing weather as you cross the high point.

Going back home I had flight planned through Simplonpass – Grimselpass. When reaching Brig, the route to the Grimselpass was covered in cloud, so I had to reroute down the Rhône valley and Bern.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You can cross the Swiss Alps VFR at 7500’ on at least two routes

I am quite willing to accept that – but how many days per year are these two routes available, statistically?
Feels like this is not a solid base for planning a VFR trip several months in advance.

Last Edited by at 10 Nov 18:34
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

There is never a solid base for planning a VFR trip several months in advance!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

OK, I’ll gladly agree to that. Yet the chances of success can be much increased by including a couple of lee days, and (I think even more) by avoiding difficult/adventurous airspace. As there certainly is, above the Alps. If ever I fly the trip, before my medical is refused, it will be with a wide detour around the Alps, AND with a planning of only +/- 400 kms per day, leaving some time for sightseeing at the various stops, AND with at least one day to spare in each direction.

But you are right, even then there is no guarantee of success, more’s the pity.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

(@peter: shouldn’t this thread revival be split off? New thread “LIPV San Nicolo meet-up 2015” or such?)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Well… I was just going to let it run and see where it goes.

In the end, unless somebody (meaning me ) makes a decision, it doesn’t happen. Look at this year… I suggested a separate fly-in for VFR-only pilots, central Europe, organised by some group here, but it died a rapid death.

We seem to be drifting to doing two main meet-ups each year, which I think is really nice, and I think these need to be as inclusive as possible. That means, customs, avgas and if at all possible IFR.

Plus a hard runway and hard parking – I don’t know how strongly people feel about this, but I am never again going to a place like Calvi where the runway is fine and then we park on a surface covered in abrasive ****. I am going to totally dismantle and re-grease my landing gear on the next Annual because it is still caked in the “grinding paste” from Calvi.

How about we do Prague (the current proposal for early May) and do San Nicolo in September? I have started a thread here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If ever I fly the trip, before my medical is refused, it will be with a wide detour around the Alps,.

What a pity cause VFR over the Alps is one of the most beautiful sights that your PPL has to offer.

One of my most memorable trips was VFR the whole span of the Alps : Geneva > Vienna, truely amazing !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message