Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

Schengen-only is OK. You just need to bear in mind that a Schengen-only airport will make it an extra hassle for UK pilots.

As we just need immigration, we can sort out something with the local Bundespolizei if we go somewhere in Germany.
They can check passports or ID cards. We don’t need a full customs airport.

United Kingdom

What about Avignon LFMV?

Far enough south to get climate, central enough for it to be about the same 2-4 hr flight for people coming from most anywhere in Europe, has an ILS, customs, hire cars and lots of parking, is close to a city that is fun to hang out in?

Last Edited by wsmempson at 01 Jun 08:40

we could produce a google map of concentric circles, illustrating the ranges that people are prepared to fly. Where they over lap is the best field for the majority.

You would probably find such an airport’s chief (and probably only) attraction is a Zeppelin museum

That’s why I am leaving this to you guys

Slightly more seriously, do bear in mind that a purely democratic vote is likely to yield a destination to which most of those who voted for it are not actually going to turn up. That’s what happened with La Rochelle in 2013 (for which David produced a proper voting site) and we won’t do that again.

I think the only way to get a high turnout to a less than very attractive location is to organise it minutely, with routes worked out, supplying all the charts, weather info, etc, a detailed social programme, and booking the hotels for people so they are financially committed. Also, on indications I have heard of, something like 50% of pilots in non English speaking countries will never leave their own country so whatever destination you pick you can more or less guarantee that 50% of those “abroad” will never come.

I will sort out the other fly-in. IMHO, aviation is about going to interesting scenic places, not flying the minimum average radius (or whatever). It is about challenging oneself … at least a little!

I hear that Corsica is hard to find hotels on, before September. Otherwise, it sounds like a great suggestion.

Last Edited by Peter at 01 Jun 08:50
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s what happened with La Rochelle in 2013 (for which David produced a proper voting site) and we won’t do that again.

The weather was crap I’d say. This is why I don’t think an instrument approach is important. If the weather isn’t nice, I’m certainly not going to come, no matter where it is. Immigration can be done via an intermediary stop, it only affects a minority.

I’m not a fan of those rich-old-men-red-carpet-destinations. They tend to be the least interesting ones.

Another good one would be Zell am See, LOWZ. Very nice place, easy to reach, no mountain flying experience required, immigration available.

Last Edited by achimha at 01 Jun 08:56

Agree that customs and IFR are not really necessary. Even fuel is not necessary. In case, it can 99% be found some fifteen flying minutes from any destination in central Europe.

no mountain flying experience required

well, I guess someone who has never seen anything else than the green hills of Southern England will be quite impressed even if he “only” had to fly the route Bad Reichenhall – Lofer – Saalfelden – Zell…

Intra-alpine weather can be horrible, even in summer. The airfield is nice and the surroundings beautiful when the sun shines. But I wouldn’t want to be stuck in Zell am See in pouring rain…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Jun 09:13
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Zell am See is an excellent suggestion.

Forever learning
EGTB

I like that suggestion. Looks good to make a weekend and maybe do some hiking.

EDHS, Germany

@Robert18LC: which Rothenburg do you mean? There seem to be a handful of them.

EDFR Rothenburg ob der Tauer?

EDBR Görlitz- Rothenburg ?

There are even cities of the name in Switzerland and in Poland.

Last Edited by at 01 Jun 09:29
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I like Zell am See. Hopefully this time i’ll be able to join. Was gutted to miss the Alps crossing to Croatia.

Also, on indications I have heard of, something like 50% of pilots in non English speaking countries will never leave their own country so whatever destination you pick you can more or less guarantee that 50% of those “abroad” will never come.

Good job you said 50% of non- English.
80% of pilots in English speaking countries will never fly abroad. LOL

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message