Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"European FBOs"

In the interests of encouraging and discovering these sorts of businesses, I was wondering if it would be helpful list some airports where GA arrivals can get FBO services for a sensible price. What you want is some help, flight planning facilities, , a cup of coffee, toilets, somewhere passengers can wait while I preflight etc.

My future home Oxford (EGTK) offers this for a fairly sensible landing fee. I would be interested in other airports that can do the same around Europe as I will frequently be travelling for business and would like to make use of these if possible.

EGTK Oxford

I am not a fan of "FBO"s (which are basically called handling agents in Europe). Please don't equate the fancy term "FBO" with "great facilites and all for free".

Wherever there is such thing like an FBO, there are relative fees, or otherwise, a nice markup on the fuel they sell. I mean: Someone wil have to pay for all the facilites and the personell. Don't assume it is always going to be "the other guy" who will pay for it.

Flightplanning? I have an Ipad / Rocketroute, etc. Toilet? I expect that, even without an "FBO". A cup of coffee? At the airport cafè/restaurant.

Flying is expensive enough.

P.S. Where the use of the FBO is at the pilot's choice (and where there is fuel from a different no-frills vendor available) I have nothing to say against them.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am not sure you read my post. I never suggested great facilities for free. There is handling and there is silly handling.

I accept you may not like them but my interest in them remains.

EGTK Oxford

While not exactly an FBO in the american sense, I find Cannes (LFMD) an excellent stopover for the average GA flyer with all the facilities listed in the initial post basically included in the airport fees.

And they have extra services if you arrive in your private jet and require catering.

My favourite so far.

Olbia (LIEO) also has a very good GA terminal at a decent price.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Thanks, that is what I meant and why I put the FBO thing in inverted commas. In Europe I suppose we mean good GA terminal facilities.

EGTK Oxford

Thanks, that is what I meant and why I put the FBO thing in inverted commas. In Europe I suppose we mean good GA terminal facilities.

Cologne is very good for a EUR 21 terminal fee, though the airport charges themselves are quite steep (another EUR 90 for 1-2 tons).

Cambridge now handles GA < 3 tons through Cambridge Aero Club, which is not as plush as when we were handled through what is now Execujet, but provides what you need with friednly service and no extra cost.

Cologne is very good for a EUR 21 terminal fee, though the airport charges themselves are quite steep (another EUR 90 for 1-2 tons).

Nowadays, it's not possible to get away with less than 170 Euros total unfortunately.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
EGTK Oxford

It's been a few years, but Siegerland / EDGS in Germany was a great place to stop, closest to a US FBO I've ever seen in Europe. Restaurant also sued to be excellent, but again, that's a while back.

Nowadays, it's not possible to get away with less than 170 Euros total unfortunately.

I was there yesterday in my PA30 (1700 kg) and paid EUR 112, including the terminal charge.

33 Posts
Sign in to add your message