Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Experiences with Russia

boscomantico wrote:

Also, you need visa for Russia, which are also quite a bit of hassle to get. Also, for getting the visa, you need some special health insurance.

Since almost 10 years I have a visa for the Russian Federation. It is valid for one year and getting a new one takes between 3 and 4 weeks. During that time you will have no passport, if that is a problem you will need a second passport. Which in Germany takes 3 to 6 weeks to get, so plan at least 2 months in advance. (AFAIK I was never asked about my health insurance for the issue of those visa – but maybe the company supplied that information without me knowing – anyway, I have no special insurance of any kind).
The alternative is to get day visa upon arrival but they cost the same as a yearly visa and will hold you up at the airport of entry for quite some time. For visa and permissions we use this company here: http://sky-handling.aero And always use a pre-booked handling service in Russia, including everything (hotel booking, crew transport, …). This seems expensive at first glance but trying to arrange all that yourself will cost you three times as much in bribes alone.

Last Edited by what_next at 31 Jul 20:26
EDDS - Stuttgart

May I assume that all flights mentioned here to Russia were done IFR?

ESME, ESMS

That’s a useful link, Sky Handling, WN; I have added it to the list of permit/overflight agents on my main page.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Been to Moscow Sheremetyevo UUEE in June this year.

They fly meters on QFE in terminal area. Rest like everywhere else.

Used SBA Flight Support Services for handling. Price EUR 2200. Nice modern terminal. Friendly service on ground and in air. Overflight and landing permit were arranged by the handler.

LPFR, Poland

I confirm health insurance is required to get Russian visa, both tourist and business type. If you use an agent to get the visa, they buy insurance for you. No problem.

LPFR, Poland

Interesting how Loco just gets on with it and does it

I guess the price is similar to e.g. Gatwick EGKK which is currently £3500 for a CJ4.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We took seven helicopters VFR to Moscow 2 years ago. Extremely difficult to plan, and unbelievably expensive – we were out over 10K EUR per machine just for overflight and nav charges. We did manage to use local airport without a ‘navigator’ though – so that was a win (still not sure how we managed that, either).

Nobody else had managed to do this before us, and I’m unsure of our ability to do it again (so we’re not going to try).

In short, I’m afraid, if you want to visit Moscow or St.Petes – then go with BA first class. Cheaper, easier, and arguably more fun! Certainly less stress…

Safe flights, Sam.

Or fly yourself to Helsinki (Malmi – support it if you can, it’s under threat of closure) then catch the fast train to St Petersburg (1st class obligatory). Best of both worlds!

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

Reading this thread, it almost seems like the easiest way to fly to Russia is under the radar, then land on Red Square

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Some chap has written up his experience participating in the above mentioned St. Petersburg group fly-in that took place this summer: Here.

It seems to prove the point that the only sensible way to fly to Russia nowadays in SEP type airplanes is to participate in such a group event, with “higher level” support.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Sep 18:29
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message