Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Experimental crash Mojave

10 Posts

This is a very interesting 45min documentary that ends with a spectacular crash. It’s like a video game when he tries desperately to avoid all the parked 747’s..

Jet Experimental

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 12 Sep 18:46

AdamFrisch wrote:

It’s like a video game when he tries desperately to avoid the all the parked 747’s..

I don’t think that he really tries anything there. He holds his controls to the stops but that simply isn’t enough… He is totally out of control and that thing (a Quickie with two model aircraft jet engines attached to it) does what it wants. The plane is unable to do a crosswind landing, the engine flames out due to a little bit of disturbed airflow caused by the yaw and on one remaining engine it can neither climb nor let the pilot regain control. He can be happy that he survived the adventure and better burns the remains of his contraption before it causes any further damage…

Last Edited by what_next at 12 Sep 18:35
EDDS - Stuttgart

Cool airplane this jet Quickie, but not being able to fly on one engine is a dubious characteristic. Extremely good flying (and a good portion of luck) to hit that shed instead of a 747 His next version should have two larger engines though

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

His next version should have two larger engines though

Or the original 15hp chainsaw engine for which the Quickie was designed. But why is he dressing up like Tom Cruise in Top Gun? I can see a good reason for the helmet, but the oxygen mask with that ridiculous snorkel?

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

But why is he dressing up like Tom Cruise in Top Gun?

Because it’s Red Bull TV. Gotta look the part.

what_next wrote:

Or the original 15hp chainsaw engine for which the Quickie was designed.

It was actually an 18 HP Onan generator engine, chosen for its reliability and low rpm at the expense of very high weight. A bit more power and a bit less weight works well, as I understand it.

172driver wrote:

Because it’s Red Bull TV.

But then I can’t understand why they did not get him a proper test pilot for testing his aircraft. One who chooses an into-wind runway for early landing trials and failing to find one can execute a crosswind landing. And especially one who has some multiengine experience…

EDDS - Stuttgart

I`m not attaching those RC turbine engines even in RC model aircraft.
IMO this is a camera affecting people related accident.

Good thing he is ok.

what_next wrote:

but the oxygen mask with that ridiculous snorkel?

I would think it will keep you alive in case of a fire.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

ACRO wrote:

I`m not attaching those RC turbine engines even in RC model aircraft

One guy at Vansairforce had an idea using an RC turbine as a backup. They are fairly small, and can be attached without causing much or any drag at all. When/if the main engine quit, you fire up the turbine and in an instance the glide ratio is improved from 10:1 to 20:1 or some similar number. IMO a rather good idea, but perhaps a bit complex to maintain in working order. Many gliders use a similar principle for what they call a “turbo”. It’s a small retractable propeller attached to a small two stroke engine. It’s too weak to be used for take off, but strong enough to keep the airplane flying, maintaining altitude.

There was a guy here that attached a RC turbine on the gear leg of a microlight. He said he could just maintain alt with the main engine on idle.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message