Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Experimental / homebuilt in Spain

tu tienes que hablar con un piloto español, él es que mejor te puede ayudar en todo esto.Bold
Michel Gordillo
el vuela en el aerodromo de Robledillo en Guadalajara, al norte de Madrid.
http://www.aeroclubdeguadalajara.es/

3 vueltas al mundo en 3 aviones de construccion experimental
kit-fox
Mcr-01
RV

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Gordillo

http://www.skypolaris.org/
http://fly-news.es/vuelta-al-mundo/michel-gordillo-termina-su-primera-fase-de-la-vuelta-al-mundo-por-los-polos-skypolaris/

You have to talk to a Spanish pilot, he is the best that can help you in all this.
Michel Gordillo
He flies at Robledillo aerodrome in Guadalajara, north of Madrid.
Http://www.aeroclubdeguadalajara.es/

3 rounds to the world in 3 planes of experimental construction

Last Edited by celtico at 06 Jan 19:42
pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

celtico wrote:

3 rounds to the world in 3 planes of experimental construction

Damn. Some day I will have to meet this guy if I can convince the Spanish to allow my Auster into the country :-)

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

Damn. Some day I will have to meet this guy if I can convince the Spanish to allow my Auster into the country :-)

This will soon be a no issue (hopefully). See here.

ECAC 2016 RECOMMENDATION (ECAC/35-1)

At their Special Plenary Session held in Paris on 18 May 2016 (ECAC/35), ECAC Directors General adopted Recommendation ECAC/35-1 on the mutual acceptance by ECAC Member States of ‘permits to fly’ for specific types of historical aircraft. The aircrafts concerned by this Recommendation (approximately 10 000) are usually called ‘Factory National Restricted Permit to Fly (FNRP) aircraft’.

They were factory-manufactured, designed before 1 January 1955 and their production ended before 1 January 1975. Previously, they held an ICAO-compliant certificate of airworthiness. Now they operate under national rules as they fall within the scope of Annex II of the EU Regulation (EC) 216/2008 (related to aircrafts for which EASA does not have competence). The newly adopted Recommendation should contribute to sustaining the historical knowledge of the FNRP aircrafts, which is of great interest to many across Europe.
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

While in itself good news, it is a shame that (a) it is again just a recommendation, which as we have seen on entry of “experimentals” is not always followed, and (b) it is a missed opportunity to include all national permit-to-fly aircraft.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

While in itself good news, it is a shame that (a) it is again just a recommendation, which as we have seen on entry of “experimentals” is not always followed, and (b) it is a missed opportunity to include all national permit-to-fly aircraft.

Yes, but this is the only way to do it. EASA has no interest in any of this. The thing we can do is to “enlighten” the national AAs.Push them and prevent them from making nonsense restrictions in addition to what ECAC recommends. The recommendations are the consensus of all the directors, top management, of each national AA. They all agree in the exact wording of the recommendations. Any restrictions are exclusively from bureaucrats lower down in the systems. Bureaucrats can think of millions of reasons to make restrictions, but by doing so, they disregard the whole purpose of the recommendation. The purpose is to let homebuilt aircraft, and now also vintage aircraft, free and unrestricted passage between ECAC states. Consequently, any restrictions on a particular aircraft, shall be written in the CofA or the “permit”.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Consequently, any restrictions on a particular aircraft, shall be written in the CofA or the “permit”.

That, plus

• airspace transit prohibitions (e.g. no IFR, no CAS, etc)
  • long term parking limits (e.g. 6 months for non-domestic but Euro-reg, 28 days for N-reg)

I have a habit of pointing out this stuff because there really are people who will buy a homebuilt for say €50k-100k without knowing any of this. This is a fact and I know of actual cases. Obviously I am not going to say who because they are on here and reading it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It does seem people are basing and flying experimental cross country in Europe but with a lot of added hassles. I’ve been reading the threads and there is not a lot of consensus. It seems you can or can’t fly IFR on an N-Reg experimental aircraft and might or might not be able to base permanently depending where you are based and how hidden you remain. It seems you probably can’t fly a local reg experimental IFR unless you do so and are not noticed and you need overfly permission in most countries with varying and confusing requirements and no guarantee of a reply. So, I am leaning towards the certified DA40 Tundra :)

Now I am on to the equally confusing decision of where to buy and base the aircraft. Is there any advantage to my buying in US an N-Reg and basing it in Spain? Or would I run into the same hassles? Are there any aviation tax lawyers you guys could recommend to help me sort through this. I contacted a Diamond dealer in Florida and of course they suggested buying an N-Reg from them. There is at least one Diamond dealer in Spain but their website seems a bit out of date.

Last Edited by milestogo at 08 Jan 21:20
FXE, LECU

If you do a search on e.g.
n-reg in europe
you will find many threads.

AFAIK there is no problem at all basing and flying a certified N-reg in Europe, except Denmark and Norway which have some limits (again there are threads on that too).

The pilot needs FAA license and medical – the standard ICAO requirement for an N-reg. And getting the license/rating is not easy in Europe.

After some date, currently April 2017 but sure to slip to April 2018 and maybe slip into “infinity” afterwards, the pilot will also need EASA license and medical if the “operator” is EU based (which practically means “you” will need it).

The last two paragraphs would also apply to a homebuilt N-reg in Europe, except that you more or less cannot base non-Euro-reg homebuilts here in the first place…

I hear that not many people are going the N-reg route today because the Euro-reg route is easier now than it used to be, and getting the FAA papers here is a right hassle (the medical is OK).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter. I am inclined to buy an aircraft in Europe and attain my EASA conversion in Jerez Spain where there is a school that seems to specialize. I expect the EASA conversion to be about 10 hours if I read my internet research correctly (I am a 400 hour FAA pp). Considering I am a Spanish resident who plans on staying for a while I assume that is the recommended approach. It never hurts to get more training and familiarize myself with local practices. The only thing that might change this if it is significantly more expensive to buy here than importing from the US. That I will learn shortly. I am current on my FAA medical, flight review, etc.

Last Edited by milestogo at 08 Jan 21:54
FXE, LECU

LeSving wrote:

This will soon be a no issue (hopefully)

Well, I hope so – but the Spanish have always been laggards in this respect. Many European countries don’t require any paperwork to fly a vintage permit-to-fly aircraft, notably for people in this neck of the woods Ireland and France and the UK are all mutually accepting of each other’s homebuilts and vintage aircraft. But Spain at the current time still requires written permission, and apparently it still takes months before you hear from them (why is it that the countries with the most chaotic administrations also simultaneously have the most rigid and arbitrary rules?)

Someone I know who has a Bucher out in Spain just suggested I do it (“no one will notice/care”) but I’m not entirely sure that’s my favoured approach!

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message