Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Extending my squitter

I see the GTX330 can be upgraded to GTX330ES by garmin for about $1200. Am I right in thinking that this will then provide ADS-B out but no ADS-B in (presumably)?So to take advantage of ADS-B traffic info in you would need something like a Garmin GDL39 or some other device (such as the iLevil 2 which will also provide AHRS) ?

Is the Garmin upgrade simply a hardware / software upgrade, so one could ship the txpdr to the USA for example for the upgrade? I am asking because I have heard quotes of around £1400 banded around to upgrade the GTX330, in which case it seems to make sense to ship/take the transponder to the USA for the upgrade.

Finally, I see there is a device called a GDL 88 Dual-link Universal Access Transceiver (UAT). Presumably there is not much point in one of these if one has a GTX 330 fitted?

Thanks, just trying to make sense of this ADS-B stuff.

EGHS

The GTX330ES can be done in Europe for $1200 as well. It will provide ADS-B out when combined with a suiteable GPS. Do note that you might require additional approval for this combination. It indeed doesn’t do ADS-B in.

You could use the GDL or other ADS-B receivers such as the ilevil or Garrecht TRX series, or Powerflarm for ADS-B in. In Europe it will only show other aircraft which are transmitting ADS-B data.

UAT is a system for the American market and works on a different frequency (978 MHz). In the USA they have some ADS-B benefits that are not available in Europe. Such as ADS-R (ground stations broadcasting the traffic image) and FIS-B (Flight Information System which is used to get for example weather and notam information in the cockpit.

Be sure you select 1090 MHz ADS-B systems for use in Europe.

Last Edited by Jesse at 30 Jun 21:34
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Thanks Jesse, that cleared things up.

Cheers

EGHS

The GTX330 upgrade to ES also requires a wiring update and configuration change for both the GNS/W or GTN position source. It involves adding a single wire to interconnect a serial port between the units, This carries the required data for ES. If you want ADS-B In that will work with a GTN or GNS/W, you can add a GDL88 and disable the UAT out. Since it has a dual frequency receiver, it will still receive and the GTN or GNS/W will display aircraft that are using ADS-B Out via a 1090ES transponder. However, since the ground stations do not provide any services, most aircraft will not show up on the display.

In the US, the ground stations provide services such as FISB (weather) and TISB (Traffic). TISB is a ground station service that broadcasts the position of aircraft that are not ADS-B Out equipped, but that have a mode A/C or mode S transponder. These targets are detected by radar, linked to the ground station, and broadcast when they are within a 15 NM radius and +/- 3500 feet of a client aircraft that is equipped with ADS-B Out.

KUZA, United States

Thanks for the info. I guess then in Euroland there is not much point forking out $5k on the GDL88 when maybe a portable solution (combined with say FLARM) might be of more benefit. Shame we can’t get all the good services you get in the USA, I am profoundly jealous. Even XM radio would be nice.

EGHS

That looks good! Thanks.

EGHS

what Jesse Said is tru, ( ADSB difference between USA en EU , for the EU ADSB wil be only mandantory above FL195)
As far as I am informed is the the real work (wiring modification) easy,
but according EASA and FAA the ADSB (ES) installation is a major change and
does require an STC to cover this major change (or maby a field approval for the FAA ? )

Last Edited by Jetprop at 04 Jul 23:18

Jet prop is correct in the fact that EASA requires an STC for the enablement of ADS-B so at the moment it is likely that the ES transponder will be fitted to my aircraft but the extended squiter will not be enabled due to the cost of the STC.

The Garmin kit can be fitted to aircraft with a USA type certificate that is on the EASA register because the ESTC is based on the U.S. STC. But if your aircraft has never had a USA STC you have to write a new STC !.

Just how a Garmin ADS-B transponder fed with GPS data from a Garmin GPS works any different in a DR400 than a PA28 is a mystery to me, so is seems like just another bit of counterproductive EASA administration that is anti safety.

It is high time EASA started to take the SAFETY side of its remit seriously and look at the ADS-B thing from a safety rather than an administrative point of view…………. Of perhaps as a wag on another forum suggested it would be easier for them just to remove the S from EASA.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 05 Jul 07:10

I dunno why they don’t make mods like this allowed by default. Many people have suitable txpdrs these days, and the cost of the kit is not that great. If everyone was flying around with ADSB and FLARM then the skies would be safer for sure.

BTW our aeroplane is N reg. To install something like the Air Avionics kit, what is the legal requirement? Sometime I wonder whether it is better just to get someone to install stuff like this and…ahem….not mention it ! Just kidding, I of course, would never ever do this

EGHS
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message