Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR conversion to EASA IR (CB IR)

just to summerize (and please correct me if I am wrong) I allready hold a EASA PPL

min 50 hrs IR time
no ATO required
contact CAA to get appointment with IR FE for flight test

flight test (practical exam) incl oral exam conducted by IR FE

fly2000

There is an oral exam with the FE.

I would strongly recommend meeting up with somebody who knows the FE and knows what sort of stuff he expects. There are little things like they expect an “ice check” every 1000ft in climb or every 5 mins in cruise.

It will also serve as a “due diligence” on the FE you might get. I had a really nice FE (a CAA staff FE, not common these days, and really professional) and most of the “industry examiners” are OK, but a few are sadists. One I know of is so bad that his “employer” FTO told me to phone in sick if I get him allocated. I had a total sadist for the 170A “test” (a UK moneymaking FTO scam which gets another 1k+ from each IR student, and improves the FTO’s first time pass rates) who failed me for several reasons, one of which was choosing Lydd as the alternate, for a flight to Bournemouth, saying that Southampton would have been better because passengers are not interested in getting to Lydd. I pointed out that the wx will be same at Southampton as at Bournemouth but it didn’t wash.

The chance of passing the UK CAA IRT first time without some “education” of the above type is very small, no matter how good you are as an IFR pilot.

But in your country it might be different. Anyone with country-specific info ought to post it here, so others can benefit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@peter_paul: see my story here

You also need a Class 2 medical + audiogram, or Class 1
And a night rating is handy too

Last Edited by Niner_Mike at 25 Oct 18:59
Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

I wouldn’t have passed the EASA Initial IR test without some brush up training, there is a difference between flying real life IFR and passing a test.
Reasons include the fact that I rarely do OEI raw data hand flown approaches, as I generally fly reliable aircraft with 2 engines that work and modern avionics!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Neil, how did you do your conversion and in what aircraft?

EGTK Oxford

Jason, I did it in a DA42. There was some discussion with the CAA and they wouldn’t let me do it in anything that needed a type rating. I believe that situation might have changed, I was doing it about a year ago

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Thanks. So did you have to talk to the CAA about it or did the examiner deal with the TR point?

Last Edited by JasonC at 26 Oct 09:29
EGTK Oxford

I had a total sadist for the 170A “test”

Interesting how a National Requirement pre 1999 still persists when it was never a JAA requirement and is not an EASA requirement!

Do UK FTOs still do the 170A? Mine was in 2011.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FAA PPL/IR converting to EASA UK IR in Germany

Hi guys,

Peter Paul started an interesting thread but some info have been communicated by Pm. My situation is discribed in the title. I converted my faa pll with caa uk. I am leaving in Germany (south part, Ulm to be accurate) and would like to continue with the easa ir. Cb ir is the way to go.
I am missing 10 hours to reach the threshold of 50 hour pic under if rules. And i need some training. I could do everything in the UK but the current exchange rate is a killer. So i am looking for options in € world(south Germany would be best).
So i need to know if the cca uk would accept a training and a flight test made outside the UK. If yes, i would have to find an N registred plane to rent and the appropriate qualified instructor. Why a N registered plane? I am hoping logging pic hours with a safety pilot while gaining experience in the European world. All of this should put me closer the the easa cb ir.

Any one has done such a thing in the past and could share his experience? All recommendations are welcome.

Thanks
Manu

LFBR
57 Posts
Sign in to add your message