Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR for Europe based pilots

I'd like to get your thoughts on this. Even though the EASA private IR is "just around the corner", I am still tempted by the FAA route. Granted, flying november in europe might be dead soon but converting to EASA papers will always be open, we just don't know how hard and how long it will be.

My idea is to combine my IR training with some vacations. I was thinking of 4 weeks total, let's say maybe 2 weeks in June and 2 more weeks in September, flying everyday in the morning and spending the afternoons with the family. Is 4 weeks realistic for a 100 hours PPL with no IR experience ?

Peter did an excellent report on his doing of the FAA IR a few years back and it seems Arizona was mostly chosen for its weather. However, I'd like to find a place with good non-aviation related things to see and do as well. Has anyone any recommendations or experiences to share ?

I think 4 weeks is realistic if you get the written done before you go. The idea of a part time trip I think is a bad one as you will want to be very focussed and I doubt it works well in conjunction with a family holiday.

I did 10 days full time to convert to PA46 and get an FAA IR having an expired Australian IR (I was also not very current on my PPL).

EGTK Oxford

When I did my Instrument Rating 2001, I had 3 weeks of time and finished with 3 days to spare, but that was full time and I had my written done, already. If it were "part time", I would calculate 5 weeks.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Getting the written done in advance would be a good idea as it will get you studying the charts, plates, regulations etc.. You do need an endorsement to take the written, but that can be done on-line through one of the training sites (ASA, Dauntless etc).

If your basic attitude and limited panel handling skills are reasonably good, then you will move rapidly into the approaches and holds etc.. 3-4 weeks is quite reasonable.

Long Beach is a favourite spot for training with multiple runways and approaches and several instrument airfields that you can use for free in a short radius (Torrance, Hawthorne, Fullerton, Santa Ana...). The West coast is prone to a marine layer in the mornings during Summer that can make even IR training difficult. September onwards it usually improves.

If California sounds attractive, have a look at 'Pacific Flyer' for school adverts etc.. Unlike the UK, most schools offer IR training as normal without inflated prices.

Make sure you're ahead of the game on licence validation, TSA approval, visa requirements etc. It needs a fair amount of planning.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Kerwin said:

My idea is to combine my IR training with some vacations. I was thinking of 4 weeks total, let's say maybe 2 weeks in June and 2 more weeks in September, flying everyday in the morning and spending the afternoons with the family. Is 4 weeks realistic for a 100 hours PPL with no IR experience ?

You might consider Honolulu.

Getting there (from Europe) will be more expensive and the hire of aircraft will be slightly dearer that on the US mainland (for example USD174/hr for a G1000-equipped DA40 or a King-fitted Arrow) BUT....the Islands are friendly, seafood is plentiful, the Ocean and the beach almost as good as in Oz and the weather is usually fine.

I would recommend Moore Air, based on the GA side of the Honolulu International (Mark Jones is the owner).

They are also an authorised CATS testing centre and the FAA field office (FSDO HI) is only 200 yards away :)

YSCB

I can also recommend Marc Nathanson at Executive Flyers at Bedford Massachusetts.Good airport to fly from. More variable weather but a great area and easy to get to.

EGTK Oxford

Don't do it somewhere with good weather! Do it somewhere with crappy weather. Far more interesting.

I did mine with IFR West. The structure of their programme was a bit different back then. You arrived with 15 hours prior instrument instruction, which in my case was my IMCR and the FAA IR writtens passed. You then did 6 days flying around the whole of the US, two pilots per aeroplane/instructor, logging about 4-5 hours each per day. On the day after you got back you did the test and went home with the licence, all being well. You even got to sidestep the dreaded oral by doing it piecemeal over the duration of the 6 day trip. Basically you live, eat, sleep and breathe IFR for a week. I did it in winter and it was extraordinarily cold in some parts of the country, which made things even more interesting.

As I say, things have changed a bit now, but the chap now runs a course for the first 15 hours if you need that, then on to a couple of different trips to get the remaining hours/tuition, including a mountain flying trip or an Alaska one. It's not the cheapest way, though if you're cash rich and time poor it's excellent. If you go with the main man you can be assured of amazingly good instruction - he has something daft like 30,000+ general aviation hours, the vast majority of which are instructing IR pilots. I can't say enough good things about him, the trips or the method of getting ones IR.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Don't do it somewhere with good weather! Do it somewhere with crappy weather. Far more interesting.

I agree but there is a catch. Under current FAA guidance, the checkride is not supposed to be under actual IMC. Not saying people don't do it but there is a risk your test could be delayed.

That said in training doing an ILS to 200ft in real IMC is very different (and far superior) from doing it with foggles on.

EGTK Oxford

Didn't know that about the FAA guidance. Maybe it was different back then.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

It surprised me and I think it a bit silly but apparently those are now the rules. They don't want you doing unusual attitudes etc in the clouds.

EGTK Oxford
134 Posts
Sign in to add your message