Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA licence requirements for SPA question.

I hold an unfrozen EASA ATPL and currently work for a UK AOC operator on a Cessna Citation. This year I (may) be asked to fly a new twin jet for demo purposes that will initially be on the N register. It is certified as a single pilot aircraft. I do have an FAA licence but it’s just an old PPL from over 10 years ago (albeit the newer credit card style one).

My company has asked me to establish as to whether or not I can operate the N reg jet on an FAA CPL, avoiding the need to acquire a full ATP as it wouldn’t be need for a SPA.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? A FARAIM reference will be fine or any broader insight that might be out there will be appreciated too. Would it be right that an FAA CPL will suffice?

Thanks for the direction!

You can operate an N-reg single pilot jet on an FAA CPL with the appropriate type rating. Under what part of the FARs would the N-reg aircraft be operated?

EGTK Oxford

While I’m reasonably certain that you can, why not call / email the FAA? Better get it from the horses’ mouth than an internet forum. The FAR/AIM is online, as is a huge FAQ site.

Where is the FAA FAQ?

The one I know was removed in 2004, reportedly because the FAA did not want to create a load of law which was a paraphrase of the FARs; only the Chief Counsel’s office is allowed to do that. I have the last known copy here (search for “FAQ”)

I recall reading something in the FARs about pre-sales demo flights, as in working for an aircraft dealer… a long time ago.

Also Part 61 does allow the use of a non-US license on an N-reg, if the license is issued by the country which owns the airspace, so e.g. a UK issued ATPL would be good in an N-reg in UK airspace only. Multiple FAA CC references here

It is very difficult to get answers from the FAA. You can write 5 times and get 5 different answers. Like the present-day UK CAA really The FAA CC office is the only good place to try.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks, I think I’ve got a better idea now. I’ll give CATS a call in the morning… =)

I would refer you to 61.31. You would need a type rating and any of the relevant endorsements. 61.58 would also apply. To fly for hire, you would also need a Commercial Pilot License with Multi engine land rating as the Private Pilot Licence you currently have would only be good if you were not being compensated. The operation of the jet would have to be conducted under part 91 and not as a certificated commercial operation.

KUZA, United States

How does one convert an EASA type rating to FAA? Can this be done through a check ride during recurrent training (at an EASA/FAA approved facility)?

EGBB

Since last year, the rules have changed. Firstly, an update to my own question for anyone interested. Theoretically, a demo flight can be conducted by a PPL (with an appropriate type rating as required) but this would be a very tongue in cheek interpretation of the rules — and we’re only talking FAA here. Realistically one would need a CPL as the pilot is being paid to conduct the demo flight. Provided it is a genuine demo flight (i.e. the passenger/interested party isn’t paying for the flight) the logical licence requirement is for the FAA CPL and IR (without the IR one is restricted to within 50 miles of the airport for VFR flights only). This is because the flight is conducted under part 91 (91.501 specifically). An ATP is only required for part 121 operators, part 91 as part of a fractional airline not using 121 and certain 135 ops.

How the rules have changed: Previously one could “convert” to an FAA licence by completing an FAA form to where they would then validate approved foreign licences, this now requires the validity and an exam. Better still and hardly surprisingly, the UK CAA will need to you pay them a fee for the privilege of confirming your standing before the FAA can apply for the verification with them. The ATP changed the most as it’s going to need the full package, as an initial would be.

In my case, retaining my EASA ATPL and adding the suitable FAA licences (meaning a CPL and IR) requires an approved ground school course with valid certificate of completion followed by the FAA CPL and IR exams. You cannot sit the exams without the certificate of course completion. Once passed these are valid for 24 months. In this time one would need to pass an FAA checkride at which point the licences can be issued.

I’m achieving this by completing the trusty King Schools course online for the ground study and sitting the FAA exams at Flight Safety in Farnborough. My plan is currently to complete the process with an FAA checkride at the end of the Hondajet type rating in Greensboro later this year. I’ll be doing my Citation LPC IR at FS Farnborough in August but that’s only for the EASA licence and can’t incorporate the FAA licence.

It’s been a learning experience! I’ll endeavour to check back here from time to time to see if anyone has any similar questions to try to help with.

Last Edited by Mikie_Boy420kt at 25 Mar 10:00
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message