Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Farnborough Controlled Airspace Proposal

EGLK, United Kingdom

AIC Y 002/2020: 3.2.9 Pilots operating IFR on Gatwick 7012 or Solent 7011 FMC squawks must fly in accordance with VFR whilst in any Class E+TMZ controlled airspace.

What does this mean?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Above AIP links go dead in no time at all. Local copies:

EG_Circ_2019_Y_127_en_pdf
EG_Circ_2019_Y_128_en_pdf
EG_Circ_2020_Y_002_en_pdf

Personally, I would never again fly a plane in the 2500ft (or generally 3500ft) LTMA area, due to a high probability of getting busted by the CAA under their current zero tolerance policy. Driving is a lot safer… I do realise many pilots don’t have a choice. The CAA is making this a TMZ because they know their policy is driving many pilots to fly non TXP.

On a closer read of the last PDF above, the Class E is not quite a TMZ:

Pilots of VFR aircraft are to select conspicuity code 7000 with altitude reporting, or 4572 (FMC) and listen out on the appropriate
Farnborough Radar LARS West frequency 125.250MHz.

The new airspace structure will create nasty choke points, and I bet Farnborough is not going to be able to allow Class D transits on nice weekends when that whole area is massively busy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here is the Farnborough AIP entry effective 27 Feb which includes the SIDs and STARs. The STARs also apply to Blackbushe and Fairoaks arrivals, however SIDs don’t.

EG_AD_2_EGLF_en_GB_pdf

Last Edited by wbardorf at 24 Jan 16:36
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

AIC Y 002/2020: 3.2.9 Pilots operating IFR on Gatwick 7012 or Solent 7011 FMC squawks must fly in accordance with VFR whilst in any Class E+TMZ controlled airspace.

What does this mean?

Airspace class E is not normally used in the south of the UK, and flying IFR in class G is common. This reminds those who operate under IFR in class G and sqawking the 7012 or 7011 “flight monitoring codes” / “listening squawks” that they have to operate under VFR or require a clearance to enter class E airspace.

This is a bit redundant, but it looks like the CAA decided to make it clearer than clear.

Biggin Hill

Yes but

Reminds those who operate under IFR in class G and sqawking the 7012 or 7011 “flight monitoring codes” / “listening squawks” that they have to operate under VFR

is still a contradiction.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes, and since it’s a contradiction and not proper English a lawyer or a court judgement is needed to clarify the meaning. This is a good example of how to write a regulation so that everyone entering the airspace without a specific clearance on tape can be charged with violations.

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

I bet Farnborough is not going to be able to allow Class D transits on nice weekends when that whole area is massively busy.

I’ll let you know.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Does anyone know why Farnborough CTA-7 (NW Corner) doesn’t align with the Farnborough CTA-6? What’s the “hole” there for?

It is to sort out the men (who did their PhD thesis in topology) from the sheep

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message