Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Farnborough Controlled Airspace Proposal

James_Chan wrote:

Does anyone know why Farnborough CTA-7 (NW Corner) doesn’t align with the Farnborough CTA-6? What’s the “hole” there for?

If you flying SE-NW, you can climb to 4,400ft 1NM earlier. Or in the other direction, if you’re gliding back to Parham, you can stay above 3,500ft one more mile. That might make the difference between landing in a field or at the airfield.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

That kind of 3D stuff is a recipe for infringements – unless your transponder is OFF or nonexistent (unless it is a TMZ).

Try to take advantage of such a step and then chat with a passenger for a minute or two, and… you end up here. Do it twice more within 4 years and you end up with no license.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You need to use margins consistent with your workload.
Are you making small talk with your passengers when you hand ly an ILS to minimum in IMC? Guess no.
Same apply when you fly within close proximity of airspace.

I agree, but hand flying an ILS is not “fun”, whereas flying generally should be enjoyable.

These things are just traps – like the cases where there was (isn’t anymore, AFAIK) adjoining airspace with one side 4500ft and the other FL045.

I am amazed that ATC can actually make use of these vertical steps for anything, for stuff within CAS. Maybe an ATCO can comment?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I agree, but hand flying an ILS is not “fun”, whereas flying generally should be enjoyable.
These things are just traps – like the cases where there was (isn’t anymore, AFAIK) adjoining airspace with one side 4500ft and the other FL045.

The alt4500/FL45 is a trap.
This CTA6 situation is a tradeoff between simplicty of the airspace and usefulnes of what remain OCAS. And the usefulness is not the same for all. I accept it brings nothing to you but for some like the Parham glider pilot, it is very useful. Seating in a muddy field waiting for crew is not “fun”

I am amazed that ATC can actually make use of these vertical steps for anything, for stuff within CAS. Maybe an ATCO can comment?

It is to protect the KATHY 1V ELDAX 1V SOKDU 1V STAR. CTA6 covers IBGON to LUXIV.

FYI, Blackbushe has published detailed procedures regarding interaction with the Farnborough Class D airspace:

https://www.blackbusheairport.co.uk/airport-information-2020

One of the key features that was worked out in the LoA between Blackbushe and Farnborough is that Blackbushe will obtain and pass on the individual squawk code and controlled airspace joining instructions on the ground, which will also include coordination and clearance for London TC as a result.

The NATS manager also assured pilots that Farnborough will endeavour to clear all VFR traffic through Farnborough airspace and provided his contact details.

We will see in 2 weeks…

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

You won’t be getting a US-style “clearance void” right of entry into CAS, presumably…

Administrator

No, you don’t as you don’t need them even today. Blackbushe coordinates an IFR release and maintains ongoing communication with Farnborough whilst you taxi on the ground. When I call ready for departure, Blackbushe tells me to hold until a release has been obtained, which normally takes less than a minute unless there is conflicting IFR traffic.

Clearance void times in the US are for departures from non-towered airport as there is no ground station performing the IFR release coordination.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

The new and extensive (read complicated) Farnborough Class D airspace becomes effective today.

I’m based at Blackbushe. How long before we get the first infringement by a Blackbushe based pilot? It might even be me.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Fairoaks is PPR, even for based pilots, for the next month – so everybody gets a briefing I suppose.

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message