Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fast(ish) multirole 4 seaters..

A middle aged Mooney would fit the spec, the Bonanza too, but you don’t get good ones for 80k.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Turbo Arrow.
Fine on grass and common outside too.

United Kingdom

Grumman AA-5B Tiger (with a 180-hp O-360) cruises around 120 kt in stock configuration. Adding a Lo Presti nose cowl + MT-Propeller MTV-18 would give a lot of extra speed. Endurance is around 5:30 with full tanks, around 3 hours at max payload. Pleasurable in flight and inexpensive to maintain (fixed gear, no expensive ADs, reasonably priced spare parts). Automation is readily available. I am operating one from a 700 m grass strip, the shortest hard runway I’ve taken off from was 520 m.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 02 Mar 17:21
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

With your budget, need for speed and the family you fly with a M20J (Mooney 201) would tick most boxes. It will give you 160 kts at 10 GPH or less, close to 1000 NM range and the payload you need with your 2+2 family. You should easily be able to find a good one in your budget. Grass runways should also not be a problem as long as they are sufficiently kept. My C does grass without any problem, the J is not much different.

At the moment there are also some rather low priced M20K’s around which might tick the boxes a well but are a tad more expensive to run for the turbo, in exchange however for 180 kts high up. With a family it is difficult to judge whether high up is an option however. On the more economic side, also a well kept and upgraded M20F can do the job.

Obviously the same goes for quite a range of planes including most of what has been mentioned before. TB20 and Bonanzas would be my other suggestions given that Cirrus are usually quite a bit more expensive and not too grass friendly.

The same goes for most Cessnas which have any speed, such as the RG variants of the 182 or 177 as well as the 210 which would be a lovely family plane but you may struggle to find a good one for your budget.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

mh, not helpful for the PO. Have you even looked at the ads ?

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 02 Mar 20:25
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

And why would that be?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

On load/fastish what about Piper Lance? or Mooney? depending on runway length, how you personally trade load and speed, if not then a TB20 should haved ticked all boxes?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Piper Arrow.

ESMK, Sweden

Virtually anything IFR certified and with 4 seats will meet this requirement (2hrs endurance with four people).

See also this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message