Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Favorite Alps destinations?

I’m a US-based pilot visiting Europe next month. I managed to track down a Diamond DA42 to rent for some work travel. Over the weekend, I’ll be visiting the Alps.

What are people’s favorite destinations in the Alps? I was thinking of swinging by Wiener Neustadt (LOAN) to visit the Diamond factory. I’m looking for nice towns to visit, good scenery, and possibly good hiking. I would fly into Courcheval if I wasn’t certain it would kill me.

Thanks.

Much less likely to kill you but with lovely hikes and nice approaches are Annecy and Chamberry.

EGTF, LFTF

Zell am See, LOWZ and St. Johann, LOIJ, are two great airports.

Hi WCD,

depending on where you are originating your trip, and as you plan on going a little east anyway, I suggest Graz (LOWG). It’s a little more south so perfect if you wanna cross right over the alps for the view.
nice town – check
good scenery – check
good hiking – check
(To be fair ;) the above points apply to pretty much every airport in Austria east of Vienna).

The other airports named so far are nice as well, but can be a little trickier weather wise.

Happy to supply more info!

Aroo

Checkin' in smooth

Mauterndorf LOSM; but not with a DA42, I guess…

LSZK, Switzerland

Hi WCD,

My aircraft is based at LOAN and I also did my ME/CPL/IR there. PM me if I can be of help.

Apart from that, it all depends on how you define “Alps” (everything from Slovenia to France) and what your criteria for aiports are (eg. only paved runways, only IAP’s available etc.).

In Austria, LOWI is the one full-service-airport right in the Alps. LOWS and LOWK are on the northern and southern base of the Alps, respectively, and also have a lot going for them. In terms of airfields, LOWZ (my favourite), LOIJ, LOGO and LOGM are my recommendations. LOSM (circa 800 metres grass in 3600 feet, PPR) is idyllic if you have the right aircraft.

In neighbouring Italy, LIPB is right in the Alps. For Switzerland, others will have more recommendations. LSZS is surely the most impressive destination, but it seems do be a lot of hassle to get there with their new instruction flight requirements (not to speak of the horrendous cost).

Since you are already in the general area, why not drop down to the Adriatic (LJPZ or LIPV) for a day or two?

Last Edited by blueline at 27 May 03:25
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

LOAN is nice, but nothing to do with Alps, just next to them ;-)
agree with LOWI and LOWK. LOWG is just very close to Alps. LOWZ is paved but not the longest runway as many other Alp fields.
If you do not want to limit yourself to Austria (are you aware of Schengen rules? no need to do anything but file flight plan between those countries) consider Bovec- provided 800 m of grass and tight turn in the valley is ok for your.
One point I learned – when transition Alps alway plan to use GAFOR routes. you can cut the corner once cumulus/clouds are high enough but make the decision once you get there, not before. But, on the other hand, I´ve been always in a single engine-.

Last Edited by Michal at 27 May 04:08
LKKU, LKTB

LSGB is the only one I’m familiar with but it has a mountain tram service a short walk from the airfield and that tram will take you right to the skiing/hiking areas of Villars.

Forever learning
EGTB

LSGK next to Gstaad for sure.

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message