Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Favourite Aircraft to Fly? (Handling qualities)

I have flown over 50 types including the latest plastic airplanes. My only advice to those that don’t own a Bonanza and can’t afford to buy one, don’t take a flight in one or you will forever know what you are missing. :)

Nothing more to add I have flown seven types of gliders three types of motor gliders and about ten types of SEP… a BONANZA is my all time favorite

EBST

kwlf wrote:

Why loathsome in flight? The landing thing sounds fun, but surely you still want an aircraft that’s fun en-route?

Well, loathsome is perhaps a bit harsh. Let’s just say it’s an acquired taste. The 5-position flaps occupy so much of the wing as to leave ailerons that a duck would sneer at. The pilot (and “George” when he’s paying attention) steer with rudder. Aileron is just to centre the ball.

The en route fun is being able to stick a motorbike in the back and fly from Scotland to the Alps in one hop, taking off and landing in 90 m

Last Edited by Jacko at 27 Jan 16:14
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Nicest handling aeroplane I ever flew: Ka6 glider.

I second that. The beauty is that you can buy them in a good condition for less than 5k€. (Unfortunately I don’t fit in one anymore, at the moment.)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Why loathsome in flight? The landing thing sounds fun, but surely you still want an aircraft that’s fun en-route?

It depends…

Most loathsome handling characteristics in flight: probably Maule MX-7.

Most amusing handling while deeply stalled: maybe Maule MX-7. Approach landing site in level flight 200-300 ft agl. When almost overhead, pull large black knob, flap handle and control wheel ALL the way back. Ignore bleeping noise and descend slightly nose high and wings level steering with feet like a back-to-front bulldozer. Arrest descent by lowering nose and/or a shot of gas. Probably works in other Maules and Cubs…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Bobo wrote:

except maybe a Ka-8.

A Ka-8 trimmed out nicely between thermals is like a magic carpet ride, it’s sublime.

In the thermals, the Ka-8 tells you everything. You can feel the ripples in the air through the controls, and all the sounds just helps you find the best bit of the thermal.

Andreas IOM

what_next wrote

capable of carrying (a few at least) passengers in all-weather conditions: Cessna 303 Crusader and C421

I don’t think any aircraft is truly ‘all weather’ let alone the 411/414/421 series, with dozens of icing/ thunderstorm accidents. Over 5% of the 421 fleet has been lost in fatal accidents. A wonderful aerial gin palace, but all weather?

This was a non fatal.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/1997/June/1/Summer-Weather

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Nicest handling aeroplane I ever flew: Ka6 glider. After a couple of minutes one forgets that one sits inside an aeroplane. Flying one of these things is very much as if one was born with wings.

Nicest handling aeroplane capable of carrying (a few at least) passengers in all-weather conditions: Cessna 303 Crusader and C421.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Its really fun to read people’s choices A friend who now has an RV-8 previously had a Zlin 526L and I wish I’d had a chance to try it before he sold it. Many of the better known Zlins are descended from Bücker designs, so to me it’s logical that those descendants might be similarly enjoyable.

I’ve only flown a few types (C152, C172, Zlin 142 and Piper Arrow) and I must say that the Zlin 142 wins hands down in this respest. I also like the Arrow for its relatively big plane-like feel, but for the fun factor Z142 unbeatable.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
60 Posts
Sign in to add your message