Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Filing IFR in VMC if not IR rated

Silly question of the day…

Do you think it would be possible to file IFR if weather is VMC but one is not IR ?

Why ? would you ask. Well in my case this would allow me to train a bit more than my instructor is available.

In the vicinity there is an airport which will agree to let you train IFR approaches even if you are VFR, but I’m not sure that ELLX would let me depart or approach on IFR procedures without filing IFR (not the least because they do have a good deal of trafic).

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

The official answer can only be: no.

The meteorological conditions only influence flight rules in one way: You cannot fly VFR in IMC. But for IFR, V/IMC doesn’t matter. If you announce that you follow instrument flight rules, you and your plane have to be appropriately qualified for the route filed.

There shouldn’t be any problems doing IFR procedures in VMC whilst flying VFR as long as you ask for and get the appropriate clearance.

ESSZ, Sweden

@Fly310 : Indeed, that’s the alternative, what I do at LFJL actually. I will ask at ELLX but unfortunately I’m guessing that will be a no

I think there’s a reasonable chance that there is nothing stopping you from flying the procedure VFR, with a view limiting device and a safety pilot (that would not have view limiting devices and ensuring VFR rules / separation from other aircraft).

it’s illegal to file IFR if you and the plane are not rated (assuming you are alone).

LFLP

This is country dependent.

I am not aware of any law against this, provided obviously you maintain vfr conditions.

The obvious problem is that atc will assume anyone asking for an ifr clearance has an IR or, in the uk, an IMCR. Then hell might break loose if you have to refuse a heading etc. This has happened in the uk when IMCR holders managed to file Eurocontrol IFR and got sent into Class A, etc.

I suggest a search for previous threads also.

It may be illegal on the type eg a homebuilt with a vfr restriction on the permit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

pashab wrote:

(assuming you are alone).

I think it’s illegal if the PIC and the plane are not IFR rated

Thanks for the replies.
Of course my assumption is that it is not legal but I was hoping that someone would have first hand knowledge on the matter

I would be alone in an IFR aircraft (the one I use for my IR training) and not (yet) rated.

I asked ELLX Ops and they said tower will accommodate on VFR FPL depending on traffic, I hope it will do.

It’s certainly illegal in Ireland. I remember reading the law a few years ago.
It applied to an Irish registered aircraft no matter where it was located, and to any aircraft in Ireland airspace.

It basically said that no aircraft could fly IFR unless the pilot held a current IR.

As others have said, best to practice the proceedure under VFR.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message