Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Firewall sound insulation Socata / etc (merged)

The Socata material is very flimsy and disintegrates within a year or two.

Has anybody used a better material?

For better sound insulation one would inevitably need something heavier (in weight) and that could be another problem.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s obviously uncertified, but a low-cost solution ?ould be a spray foam sealant, which does exist in fire-retardant versions (e.g. Dow GREAT STUFF Fireblock).

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 31 Mar 18:48
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

check this one out – sounds good 3-5 db noise reduction – high temp resistant
Link

EDxx, Germany

Try soundex. I put it in the Mirage.

Link

EGTK Oxford

There is some really interesting stuff. That cool-it stuff especially.

The thickness needs to be about 10-15mm; any more than that and it would get in the way. It also needs to withstand temperatures up to maybe +100C which is what one gets in there if one parks up in still air, straight after a flight, in the summer.

I am going to get some samples. Many thanks all!

Last Edited by Peter at 31 Mar 20:25
Administrator

This stuff has been mentioned in the Socata site.

OTOH if the 35kg/m2 is not a misprint, this is damn heavy! The adhesive would need to be very good, and hi-temp capable.

Amazon.de probably won’t ship to the UK and also the stuff looks very similar to the Socata stuff, even down to the colour of the backing waxed paper. I would be interested whether anybody from Germany has bought this.

Last Edited by Peter at 03 Apr 09:57
Administrator

it is 35kg/m3..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I think you read the description incorrectly. It is 35kg per cubic meter, not per square meter

I bought some of the stuff and just got it delivered this morning. It “feels” better than the original Socata-stuff, i.e. less prone to abrasion and the covering on the non-sticky side has an almost rubber-like quality to it, not with the pores open like the original. No experience yet with it in the plane though.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

35kg/m2 at 10mm thickness would be 35g/cm3…. that would be denser than any normal matter, I believe 22g/cm3 is the densest you get.

OTOH, how would, say, a tungsten firewall improve sound characteristics?

Biggin Hill

35kg/m2 at 10mm thickness would be 35g/cm3

3.5g/cm3

It’s a slow day, evidently!

Administrator
73 Posts
Sign in to add your message