Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First IFR trip completed. EGBT - LFRD

Thanks to all of you that assisted with advice on my initial route queries. Here is the track link…

https://www.autorouter.eu/track/3699yR1N

As you all said, I didn’t quite get to fly the route as planned. The route and plan was done using Autorouter and filed for 11:10Z. when I arrived at the airport. EGBT has recently gone non licenced, but they still have a man in a tower who obtained my departure clearance, which was route on track Cowly, remain OCAS squark 6313 with an en route frequency. As soon as I departed I changed frequency to London who cleared me into CAS at 6000 ft and then onto FL100. I was then passed to another London frequency, then solent, who routed me to ORTAC (not filed) then to another London frequency who routed me overhead Jersey, then passed to Jersey control who routed me to DIN. It was at this point overhead Jersey in IMC at FL100 that I noticed the ASI reading 80KTS (normally 140) and pickup up a little ice. OAT was about 2 degrees on the gauge. I realised the pitot had probably iced up. I requested a decent and initially it was declined as there was other traffic coming the opposite way 1000ft below. I requested again mentioning I was picking up ice. He then immediately gave me a radar heading and a clearance to descend to FL70. The workload shot up for a moment, but once at FL70 and the pitot heat on, everything went back to normal. Jersey passed me onto Rennes app who said just let them know when I wanted a descent, which I did shortly after. The Runway in use was 17 and she asked me to confirm I was doing the VOR DME 17 approach, I requested the RNAV 17 which was approved and so flew that, which was a breeze using a new Garmin GTN750. A great little trip and lessons learned!!!

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Great, the first self planned IFR trip to a foreign country is a very satisfying accomplishment!

Rob2701 wrote:

As you all said, I didn’t quite get to fly the route as planned.

Well, you pretty much did, the most difficult part in the UK (where there are actually airspaces and other airplanes) was spot on and the rest pretty much what you had filed. That is a very good outcome. The route you flew was un-plannable because FIR borders have to be crossed at waypoints (BOLRO here) while instead they sent you over the FIR border on a DCT. London/Jersey are well integrated and do such coordination, other sectors always route you via border points.

Rob2701 wrote:

The workload shot up for a moment, but once at FL70 and the pitot heat on, everything went back to normal.

You should always keep your pitot heat on unless the weather makes pitot icing absolutely impossible. The workload can increase at any time and you do not want to miss turning it on. In fact, most IR instructors make the pitot heat a mandatory pre-flight checklist item and insist on having it turned on from off block until landing, even in 30°C CAVOK. I used to follow that procedure but no longer do, partly also because I now have much more experience and my mental capacity is not as easily saturated as it used to be.

Last Edited by achimha at 12 Sep 17:33

achimha wrote:

You should always keep your pitot heat on unless the weather makes pitot icing absolutely impossible. The workload can increase at any time and you do not want to miss turning it on. In fact, most IR instructors make the pitot heat a mandatory pre-flight checklist item and insist on having it turned on from off b

I really can’t think of a good reason to not turn the pitot heat on when lining up on the runway – I do every flight. Even if I could think of one, I would turn it on before entering visible moisture at 10 degrees or below. Rob, well done in coping with what occurred but try not to give yourself too much to do in your first flights. Actual IMC, in icing conditions, over water with no pitot heat is asking for a serious problem.

Last Edited by JasonC at 12 Sep 19:44
EGTK Oxford

+1 for that – pitot heat is ALWAYS on, part of the last checks when going onto the runway…

EGTF, LFTF

Ha! Well done, every flight for next 10-20 you’ll make mistakes and learn from them. It’s natural, I made my fair share! Enjoy Dinard/St Malo!

JasonC, I absolutely agree, and a big lesson learnt. 99% Boredom, 1% terror.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

I was taught Pitot Heat and Landing Light on when cleared to enter runway (saves sat at hold with pitot heat on with no airflow which can be unkind to some pitot heads apparently). I have also been taught that Avionics and compasses are set up during Maint with all electrical services on so that should be the config during flight as well.

Now retired from forums best wishes

Well done Rob

Lots of people forget pitot heat. Also some never use it – until they find out what happens.

On all metal GA planes one can turn it on with engine start. I would not turn it on before that because it draws a fair bit of power (about 100W) and it gets very hot so the draught is handy.

However on many rentals it doesn’t work. During my PPL training i usually didn’t notice any warming.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

On all metal GA planes one can turn it on with engine start. I would not turn it on before that because it draws a fair bit of power (about 100W) and it gets very hot so the draught is handy.

Well you should follow the POH recommendations and limitations on that. In the Mustang for example there is a 2 minute limitation on use on the ground. But when I am cleared for takeoff I turn landing light on, pitot heat on, check my trims and go.

EGTK Oxford

Well, yes, the biggest bizjet is still “GA” and they have limits on e.g. AOA sensor heat while on the ground….

Any light GA planes with POH specs saying it should not be used on the ground, etc?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message